Solved! Go to solution

Draft: Rotate views

Hi,

How can I rotate existing views in a draft? I'm in the need to rotate the "alignment" (or what it's called), 90°.

See attached image.

9 REPLIES

Re: Draft: Rotate views

Seems I found a way to rotate a view, but only a single one and i'm not sure if that is the correct method to use...

Click a view, properties, set angle (see image).

Is this correct?

Also, I did the same to hide hidden lines, but again - only count 1 view and not all (i want hidden lines ... hidden in all views. )see image).

Is this correct?

That looks right.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

That worked, to some extend.

I had to remove all the other views, because it was not possible to rotate them all - they did not show correctly. I ended up rotating one, then delele all other views and use "Principal" tool to place the new views.

This would have been a disaster, if I had a lot of dimensions though - a lot of lost work.

Isnt there a better way to do this?

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kenneth
‎09-29-2015 10:19 AM

I don't know of any way to do a mass rotate of a bunch of views. Just have to plan ahead I guess if view angle is important.

Bruce Shand

You can set up custom view orientations from the view wizard, drawing view layout button if the view is not already placed.  In my opinion, this would be the ideal way if you can't use a named view.  To rotate an existing view, you can do what you did in the view properties, or you can go to the Sketching tab and use the Rotate feature.  It's a pulldown within the "Move" button.

Matt

You can set up the defaults for placing drawing views in Solid Edge Options > Edge Display (in Draft environment)

I think you will need to set them in the template file to keep the settings for all future drawings.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

I think @Kenneth was referring to already placed views possibly having annotations. Not how to initially set the views.

Bruce Shand

No easy solution for this it seems.

I just have to plan ahead and make sure to place the first view correctly Smiley Happy

The dimensions will look weird too, if you start to rotate an existing view - i guess.

A mass rotate is impossible because those are projected views.  So if you TOTALLY change a view, then you effectivly change them all since they are projected.

However, another method to rotate that not even my VAR knew about during our training is to use the "Rotate" command on the sketch menu in Draft.  This will allow you to rotate the views as well.

But like mentioned before, planning kis key.  I too have to often redraw views if I change orientation, but because they are projected, there is absolutley no way around this.  

Even SolidWorks and other programs cant do it the way you are wanting.  In SW, you can change the principal view you placed first to another orinetation, but you affect any views that were projected off of that.

Owner: Scott Lester Drafting & Design
Designer: Rotork Instuments