Draft View Wizard

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Will we ever be able to see an option to select the sheet size from the view wizard when creating a draft?

15 REPLIES

Re: Draft View Wizard

Phenom
Phenom

I made a template file for every sheet size.

Not the solution, but a workaround.

...........................................................................................................
Solid Edge ST10 & AutoCAD 2018.1 user

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I have all the sheet sizes set up in the background but when bringing a model in the default size is A3 but it would be nice to select A2 or A1 from a drop down or something. It would make the drawing creation flow much quicker and easier.

Phenom
Phenom

I haven't tested it yet, but one of the reasons for me to make a single sheet template set-up in stead of on template with all the sizes is filesize.

Every draft on your server is bigger than needed because of all the extra sheets.

OK, specialy for you Man Tongue

My draft for A4 is: 338 kb

With 2 A4 sheets (portrait and landscape): 361 kb

So about 23kb per sheet extra. 

Indeed, not enough difference. Man Embarassed

So, yes indeed, I would like the dropdown to.

...........................................................................................................
Solid Edge ST10 & AutoCAD 2018.1 user

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend

we set up templates for A B C D and E sizes. Our thinking way back for not using just one file for everything. What if you delete it before backup? and many more things. But i do think it's wierd they don't have that. Way back our trainer told us to do it that way.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

We use one sheet size for all drafts.  It's CAD and most view it electronically, so no matter what sheet size you use it's all the same size when it's on a monitor and you can zoom in if needed, so we cater to that process.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Not sure I get the import of the question "Will we ever be able to see an option to select the sheet size from the view wizard when creating a draft?"

If sheet size up front is important to you just select it before defining views. Why add to the view wizard a selection that you would only use once per draft?

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Genius
Genius

Ken,

What sheet size is the one you use? Just curious.

Unfortunately, we are still stuck with actually printing drawings for manufacturing. Of course they print virtually all drawings to A size so some D size drawings are pretty tough to read, especially with my older eyes.

I try to use A for basic simple parts and B for most everything else, however our stuff is very large and can be pretty complex so I also use D a fair amount too. I try to avoid C size as a rule.

Bob Henry

Bob Henry

Manager of Engineering - Highwall Miners
Caterpillar Global Mining LLC
Houston, PA

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@bshand When you use the "create drawing" from the assembly environment you are presented with the Drawing View Wizard. Our Draft template has A3 selected as the default however we may want an A2 sheet to suit the model better. So we have to place the view then click background sheet and click A2 template and click back. Having the ability to select the sheet size from a drop down would make this process a much slicker process!

When you have a lot of drawings of piece parts from an assembly to do these small things start to become irksome.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I guess if I had that problem I would do some variation on what Joris suggested.

Create a draft template for each size. Whether each template has only one background sheet or if all backgrounds are there but the background size needed is default for each template. Then you select it right at the beginning of the "create drawing of active model" process.

Seems like it accomplishes the same thing.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200