Draft copy/paste point of origin

Pioneer
Pioneer

When copying in a draft drawing there is no option to select a point to copy from. To be clear, I do not want to paste to original position. I want to choose the origin point to copy from.

I found this post on a search, but I cannot understand the proposed solution.

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Solid-Edge-2D-Drafting-Forum/Copy-with-base-point/td...

Can someone give a more clear explanation how to do this, if it is possible?

8 REPLIES

Re: Draft copy/paste point of origin

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Are you trying to copy from one sheet to another?

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Pioneer
Pioneer

Yes that is the problem - there isnt any way to select a reference point when copying between sheets.

Pioneer
Pioneer

It can be done as I have outlined below, but its really an oversight that this is not part of the program when Autocad could do this in 1991....Smiley Frustrated 

Assume you are copying from Sheet 1 to Sheet 2.

1. On sheet 1, draw a temporary line from a point that is common to both sheets.

2. Select the ojects to be copied, and the temp line.

3. In sheet 2 paste at cursor.

4. Move the just placed ojects, ref point being the end of the temp line, move to same point in Sheet 2.

5. Erase the temp lines from both sheets.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

kjm wrote:

... its really an oversight that this is not part of the program when Autocad could do this in 1991....Smiley Frustrated 

To be fair, there are also things that Solid Edge can do that AutoCAD cannot, so it's bit of a "horses for courses"...

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

No, coordinates don't play the role in SE that they do in Acad. So, you have to use various tricks.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Betreff: Draft copy/paste point of origin

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @kjm

another method of course seems not to be the most elegant but does a pretty good job.

Select Your geometry and create a block out of it.

A block always has a defined origin.

Now put this to Your desired new position and paste it exactly where You want it.

If it should not be identical to the original geometry then You must Unblock it which also isn't a big effort.

regards
Wolfgang

Genius
Genius
I so wish CTRL+SHIFT+C and CTRL+SHIFT+V worked in SE like they does in autocad, those two are a huge time saver for making duplicate parts/views etc.

Genius
Genius
And some of us wish they did function more like autocad. SE just feels hap hazard when it comes to drafts and views as far as placement and alignment goes.