Solved! Go to solution

Draft fails to save new file

[ Edited ]

Sometimes, maybe randomly, SE ST9 fails to create a new file on the shared disk on the server: Solid Edge says that it is impossible to access to the file, and in the meanwhile a file of 0 KB is created, with the same name of the file that I was trying to save. At this point, I can save the new file to a local disk without problems.

After a few minutes, this "0 KB" file is deleted and it is possible to save the file to the server normally.

My VAR says that the issue could be related to a not stable network, but I think that the problem is due to Solid Edge: actually Solid Edge is the only sotfware in use here that shows this problem, and I'm not sure but I guess that the problem started to arise with the MP8 of ST9.

Workstation: Win7-x64, Server: Windows Server 2012.

Any experience/suggestion?

Re: Draft fails to save new file

[ Edited ]

You are running built in file management, with indexing on the network drive, no? I had this issue. You need to download and install an update to the network drive.

Try for now, going to the network folder that you are working in and turn off indexing manually. Like right click on the folder and open properties, then uncheck indexing. See if that fixes it. If so, you need to install the update to the file management.

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"

Are you referring to this update:

/product_updates/ST9/Maintenance_Packs/MP08/Built-in/Fast_Search_MSI_MP8.exe

released on 15 June 2017?

Solution
Accepted by topic author Alessandro
‎07-20-2017 02:05 AM

That would be the one. You can't just install on your computer though, has to be on the network machine.

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
"You're doing it wrong"

Typically when this scenario occurs, some process other than Solid Edge is immediately grabbing and locking the file on disk before Solid Edge can complete the initial save of the data into the file.  Some other processes that can be grabbing and locking the file include Windows indexing, anti-virus, thumbnail display in Explorer, cloud storage solutions e.g. Drobox et. al, Distributed File System (DFS) configuration, and disk caching to name but a few.  I would look at indexing, anti-virus, and thumbnail display first as these are the most common causes I see for this type of issue.  The other listed causes are not so common but I still see them occasionally. 

You can use Process Explorer from Sysinternals to help determine what process is locking the file:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-find-out-which-windows-process-using-file.htm

I had similar issues when starting out on a very slow network. Since we upgraded to a newer server, no issues at all. I agree with UK dave, it's a time out and file control issue.

Another related issues is that if you want to make a new part that has the name name as a recently deleted file from an assembly. SE needs to be compleatly shut down or ast least that assembly needs to be closed before it will let go of the old file and allow you to make a new one with the same name in it's place.

80 bucks in pretend money says that I'm right it's indexing and if the maintenence pack for the fast search is installed on the network server it fixes it.

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
"You're doing it wrong"

Finally I decided to roll-back to MP7, and it seems that things works well, both for this error and for the built-in management that now works again.