Solved! Go to solution

Drafting Views and Tube Centerlines

Is there a way to turn off tube centerlines globally, if you miss the original checkbox while placing the view?  I have that option with hidden lines, and tangent line when I RMB the view and select display properties, but the centerlines only have the option for telling what type of line, in a dropdown.  I know you can later go in and turn off the centerlines for each tube, but I have hundreds of tubes created and if I miss it on that first checkbox, I have to go in individually or recreate the view.

Secondly, is there any way to get the views to show how their orientation while the view is being placed?  When I do this it just displays a box with an x through it and you place the box and wait for the view to be generated.  This makes it very difficult to determine which way the view is facing if you select front top bottom etc.  I would appreciate even an overall ghost image just to let me know what I am looking at prior to placing the view on the sheet.

9 REPLIES

Re: Drafting Views and Tube Centerlines

[ Edited ]

In ST 6 Options, the tube centerline option is on the Annotation tab.

2016060901.jpg

Also in ST 6 the first view being placed does show the actual preview of what would be drawn, whereas the subsequent views show only the outline range box.

I am on ST8.  Don't know if the view showed while placing changed or not.  I will definitely check out the annotations box to turn those off by default.  Thanks.

I mean I am sure; If it is there in ST 6 the drawing preview will definitely be available in ST 8 as well.

FF this video to 12:40 to see ST 8 also shows preview for subsequent views placed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZPtLMQntD0

It is weird.  The lack of drawing preview seems to be related to the complexity of the Assembly.  I played around with it some, and if I have less than 40 parts I get the preview.  As soon as I add the 40th part, it switches to only showing me the outline box.

The preview of the view orientation is a function of video card capacity. I'm using a K4200 and it  typically runs out of gas after about 6 hours (say 20 assemblies of 300 parts each and 30 pages drafts each were worked on) of CAD use on a good BOXX system.

If you have a low end vid card, I can see it running out of gas very easy or never have enough to show the preview on a complex assembly.

My first clew is when the view cube does not show up on the view preview.

[ Edited ]

I tried placing the view of a large assembly (> 200) with a configuration that has very few parts (< 15) but that didn't help either.

Meanwhile, if you have got answers to your questions, mark all those posts as accepted solutions @mdamson

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author mdamson
‎06-13-2016 11:19 AM

I will mark them as solutions when they have been solved.  Up til now, they had not.  Here are the proper answers:

1)  To turn off tube centerlines, this must be done at the Solid Edge Options >Annotations menu.  The caveat is that it must be applied to the template, or individual drawing.  If you use a template where it is not turned off, it comes right back the next time you create a drawing.  Why Solid Edge did not make it a global turn off on a drawing view like the hidden lines is beyond my comprehension.  You can turn them off on a drawing view, but you have to drill down in the part tree to each individual tube and expand it to see the centerline, and then select it and turn it off.  Not user friendly at all.

2)  The second issue with the drawing view display is corrected also in the options menu.  Go to Solid Edge Options > Drawing View Wizard.  Then check the boxes under the medium and large assemblies to turn on the Dynamic Display.  This will set this option globally, and does not have to be set for each template, or drawing.

[ Edited ]

To answer you first point - have a look here - the part about selecting all centre lines.

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Solid-Edge-Forum/Frame-Path-display-in-Draft/m-p/341...

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

I have a Query set up in the View's Properties Display tab to pick the tube centerlines.
Component Type is(Exactly) Centerline
When I run it, it picks all the Centerline's and you can then uncheck the Show box.
We do this because we need to see the Centerlines from time to time so the global Annotations setting isn't used.
Dale Smith
Mitsubishi Electric Power Products, Inc.
ST9 MP5 - Insight