Looking for suggestions as I am new to SE drafting and really hit a wall with the drafting environment and a rather large (several thousand part) master assembly. I can draft sub-assemblies in most cases just fine, especially from part files I created myself, but the problems seem to eminiate from vendor imported parts that are in many cases too detailed. As soon as I lay a principal view down, it takes the better part of 10 sometimes 15 minutes to get it to show up, it locks up SE. If I update the views it takes a few minutes too even if there are no changes. Are there settings to simplify the assembly in the drafting environment that perhaps I am overlooking? This model is not even that resource intensive in the modeling environment, it just goes to a crawl in the drafting environment. I had to export some things to Autocad today just to release some drawings that needed to go out. Thanks for your help.
You can try things like inactivating views when opening a draft. But that won't help when creating a new view.
The part count isn't as important as how "feature rich" they are. Every facet, curve, etc. has to be processed for correct display. So, the less faces, the better. And no helix features like realistic threads, knurls, etc. We download a lot of vendor parts which for our purposes come in way too detailed so the first step is to go over the parts in synchronous and pare them down to the bare minimum and simplify shapes where possible.
Below are typical examples: an original import and the one after it leaves my "shop".
bshand is right on target. I do exactly the same time as I have time to re-model vender parts. But that is exactly the problem. No time to remodel vender parts.
The other part of the solution is more computer power. I found the following computer just powerful enough to work with SE and load heavy files without a problem.
Boxx 4.5 Ghz 32 Megs ram K4200. Raid-0 3.5ms SSD's + 1TB 7200
Even that computer only gets about 3 hours before reboot because the mixture of SE and Nvidia don't clean up the Vid ram right.
I did reverse engineering for a few years. Re-modling is faster for me and results in the smallest file.
Also I avoid Sync compleatly because of design limitations. Many parts I create must be ordered (Can't make them in Sync). Since Sync cant see ordered and I need all parts to see each other. I don't use Sync at all.
Within a single part sync can't see ordered features (except for ST9 I hear). But I hope you don't think that holds in assemblies.
I don't buy at all that remodeling is faster. Believe me, when it comes to imported parts sync can't be beat. Not only is it fast but it's accurate because you're working directly with the vendor's model, not trying to fake it with a partially and poorly dimensioned spec. Reverse engineering isn't even an appropriate term for it. Reduce engineering is more like it.
Attached is an example of both a typical file from one of my venders and the re-modled version I can use to locate attached piping and can mate easier with other models. I have yet to finish one portion of the origional model that needed to be detachable.
@12GAGE, They're ST9 files and we haven't moved to ST9 yet. By preview though your pump seems very similar in complexity to the motor in my example. There may be exceptions to the rule on when remodeling could beat sync mods. Seems like it would be easy to mod but it's hard to tell without being able to open it.
I guess we'd need to have a race.
Imported geometry, like Bruce and 12gage have mentioned can be a killer. In my previous life I worked on large assemblies that had multiple engine configurations in the top level assemblies. These gas and diesel engines were extremely detailed and complete it took about a week to simplify one engine down into a usable/sensible model.
On the other extreme I had a user import a screw with fully modeled threads (because we can do that kind of stuff) and the screw was used in about 400 different locations in the assembly. Not only do you have to worry about the helical threads (computational time) but the solid body interferences that messed up the hidden line removal processes as well.
Thankfully, ST9 has some simplify body tools now!