Dragging seperate part files (rotate)

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi,

I am in assy and trying to rotate a group of seperate parts as one, but i cant seem to select more

than one part in drag mode,

Any suggestions as to how i can get around this, what i am doing is opening a car door and the hinge off a pivot point on the hinge to check i miss the front fenders etc.

6 REPLIES

Re: Dragging seperate part files (rotate)

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi there,

If you have all of your relationships to all associated parts established good enough, you should only need to select one part and rotate it....the rest should follow.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom
Hello,

If you are using ST5 or ST6, the easiest way would be to create a Rigid Set relationship containing all the parts you want to move as a single unit. When you do that, if you move one of the parts, they will move as a single unit. The Rigid Set relationship is the blue diamond with the square around it in the Relate group on the assembly Home ribbon tab.

Hope this helps,

Greg

Legend
Legend

If the hinge is an adjustable assembly sometimes that doesn't drag very well. If you did that you may have to separate the hinge into door half and body half ("jamb half" for me in the architectural world).

Another way to do it is to put an angle relationship in the hinge and open a peer variable table for it. You can type in various angles and see how it behaves. This sometimes works better because you can put in an angle and then move the model around and really get a good look at it.

Using SE since V12, 2002

Phenom
Phenom

If you're really feeling daring (and/or bored), apply a motor to the hinge and let it sit there opening and closing the door as you visually check out different areas of the fender gap, etc..Sometimes I like to see the actual physical motion in realtime, and from areas where you can't actually make the door open by dragging the cursor around.

-Dylan Gondyke

Pioneer
Pioneer
Hi Gents,

Many thanks for your answers, I seemed to have cracked it using the steering wheel, once I selected the parts I needed to rotate. does this sound ok.

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi Gents,

Many thanks for your suggestions, i seemed to have cracked it using the steering wheel, once i selected the parts to rotate.