Solved! Go to solution

Drawing Anchor

[ Edited ]

I'm wanting to anchor my drawings, mainly so I can use the planes as a reference for extruding or whatever. If I draw a triangle, how do I center it? Thanks. 

Also can someone explain why the video I recorded using Siemens software and uploaded to the Siemens website won't play? Thanks. 

(view in My Videos)

11 REPLIES

Re: Drawing Anchor

[ Edited ]

There are many ways to anchor a triangle to be centered on the coord sys or reference planes.  You can connect the midpoint of the base side to the vertical ref plane edge or leg of the coord sys, you can create construction geometry perpindicular to 2 sides and connect them in the center and then connect that intersection to the center of the planes/coord sys.

For the video, I always upload to Youtube, then use the Insert a Video command and use the From Web option and paste the link from Youtube in the URL field provided.

Ken Grundey
Production: ST9 MP6
Testing: ST10

If needing an equilateral triangle you could also use Polygon by Center.

Thanks very much for the video. However my lines don't show center points, so I can't align the center of the bottom line with the Z axis. Do I need to alter my settins somewhere to show the mid point of the lines?

Need to turn on the Intellisketch option for MidPoint...

Ken Grundey
Production: ST9 MP6
Testing: ST10

Thanks Ken, I went in and made sure they were on but still can't select the centerpoint, and no center or endpoints are visible in the sketch. It only seems to want to select the line. 

Garnet,

This video may make things clearer fro you.

(view in My Videos)

As far as your videos are concerned make sure that they are .wmv and just follow the prompts. Thats all I do.

Cheers

Mark

Mark, great video, thank you. I've done as you've shown and that's solved the problem.

One thing I'm not a fan of is that even when constraining a point, such as the top of the triangle, it still selects the line. It's constraining it as I want it, the top of the triangle vertically to the base, but it still appears to select the entire side line. 

Thanks again.

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Garnet
‎08-26-2015 04:32 AM

Thanks Garnet,

I appreciate your feed back.

On the subject of end point selection - this has been given a great deal of thought by the Solid Edge planners. Simply put when selecting the end of a line for a connect operation either geometry or a constraint (either geometric or dimensional) the line selected is highlighted  and the endpoint glyph displayed when the endpoint or close thereto is reached. This allows you to select geometry without having to excessively zoom and rotate.

To sort out the situation where a number of potential selection candidates are under the cursor Solid Edge employs QuickPick to sort through the candidates.

My advice when introducing Solid Edge to new users over the past 15 years has been "slow down and let Solid Edge do the work for you" Smiley Happy

This video might help.

(view in My Videos)

Cheers

Mark

Thanks for another great video and explanation Mark, that clears up a lot of what I've been wondering about. I'm used to fully constraining everything from working in Solidworks (usually centering around the planes), and although it seems not so important with Solid Edge I still like to do it in case I want to mirror from a plane or something. 

Thanks again.