Solved! Go to solution

Drive several part features from the same sketch?

I have a part with several features (protrusions) that all have the same cross-section profile.  It would be very convenient to drive these from the same sketch to simplify changes.  Is that possible?  I know I can copy a sketch from one feature to another, but that doesn't maintain associativity between them.  Thanks for any suggestions!  Smiley Happy

8 REPLIES

Re: Drive several part features from the same sketch?

You just need to NOT draw the sketch as part of the feature. Do this instead:

1. Choose Sketch command.

2. Draw Sketch

3. Choose feature command. In the command bar, change from "Draw Sketch" to "Select Sketch" and pick the sketch.

4. Repeat 3 for each feature.

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

Hi,

maybe You first have to change to traditional mode, there You find a skect function "copy sketch" where the copies can keep assoiative.

May be this helps

regards

Wolfgang

regards
Wolfgang

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the replies, but I'm not quite following how this works.  If I'm in the part environment (ordered) and go to create a protrusion (for example) I don't see where I can "copy sketch".  The only sketch option I see is the "select from sketch" in the list of sketch planes.  And that only works if the sketch happens to be in is the same plane and location where I need the feature.  If I need the feature offset or in a different (perpendicular) plane from the sketch, then what do I do?  What am I missing? Thanks for the help.  I appreciate it.

Hello,

If you need to create a feature offset from the sketch plane, then you can:

1.  Create the new plane

2.  Start your feature command and select the plane (instead of select from sketch)

3.  Once you are in the plane, use the "include" tool (in the draw tab of the toolbar) to pick the lines etc. from the master sketch.  You will see a small chain symbol appear on each selected entity and they will be linked back to the master sketch and driven by it.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author pkelecy
‎08-26-2015 04:32 AM

Hi,

no sorry for missunderstanding my answer.

What I tried to recommend was the so called "Aberiss Skizze" in Germnan, 

don't ask me the correct original English function name at the moment since I do not have an English ST running at the moment.

See the picture:

The first sketch is the original one, then I created either planes or coordinate systems (I like them more then planes) 

Then You can use the "copy sketch" function to create associative sketch profile on different planes in space.

Changing the master will result in appropriate changes in the childs

regards

Wolfgang

regards
Wolfgang

Thanks Wolfgang.  That worked!  It's the "Tear-Off" sketch command in english, which I've never used before.  The only thing I have to work out is geting the orientation right in non-symetric profiles (but that's probably just a matter of setting up correct reference planes).  So I'll need to play around with it a little bit more, but I think it will do what I'm after.  Thanks again!

Pat

... wellcome!

regards 

Wolfgang 

regards
Wolfgang

But in synchronous will associative sketches do any good?

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200