Driving a parts dimensions to any row in a exel spread sheet?

Builder
Builder

I was wondering if I had a list of parts, say a flange, with dims documented in excel I could create many parts at once with the spread sheet (each row representing a part with differnt dims but same general shape) or say choose a row in this spread sheet and solid edge creates that part according to that row. I am aware excel can drive a model, but what I have seen is simple. It would be a pain to create 300 parts thats all generally the same by hand.

10 REPLIES

Re: Driving a parts dimensions to any row in a exel spread sheet?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

It could be done with Excel or you could use the built in Family of Parts functionality in the Part and Sheet Metal environments.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

have a look at standard parts...

you can create custom parts as you describe from excel table.

Phenom
Phenom

I tried using spreadsheet with SE for a while and gave up on it because keeping things linked was not initiative. When I create a spreadsheet, it appears that file is embedded

into SE and a not separate file. Also, I'm not sure how spreadsheets relate to the revision manager.

Can any link me a vid or tutorial on how to create a spreadsheet that is permanently linked both ways (info to and from multiple model files)

I know how to create links. It's how to create, save, and maintain updating links to the spreadsheet that's I gave up on.

I found that doing everything inside the variable tables was much faster in the long run because it's more stable.

Builder
Builder

Can sync features be suppressed? Making a child part I have a sync feature I want compressed.

"Detach" is the way to suppres features in sync.

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

There is a nice example of using Excel in the Custom folder.

"...\Solid Edge ST6\Custom\Bearing\bearing.xls"

Open it and press Alt+F11 to see the code behind.

LMGi
www.TLMGi.com

Builder
Builder

My problem is I have a part that I want to create a family of parts for. It is a flange with a few holes with varing dims. Now say I want hole A to be a 1" from the bottom for part A, part B has that hole at 1.5" from the "bottom". Now I am having difficulty creating that part in ordered. The holes do not want to move! I can do it in sync, everything moves fine when I give variables a new value. However I lose the ability to suppress holes that are not included in some child parts and detach doesn't work well for the child part. I am not sure if I can assign variables to dims in oredered and expect them to change like that. If anyone can post a vid of how to do this in ordered it would be great! A simple part that has a varible hole for every child part.

Phenom
Phenom

Is the part sheet metal, standard part, or a frame member?

Builder
Builder

It is a sheet metal part and I could not get it to work for anything. The two holes(J&K) would not move for me when I assigned the variable E & P a new value. I had to delete the parallel relation ship between them for it to work correctly. Then I had to dim each hole to be equal to P so they would all move over together. They all originally had a relation so they would move together but this didn't happen. I don't know what went wrong. My fix did work though, although it is time consuming to dim every hole and set each dim equal to P. Would you do it differently? I also had to add variables because for some reason they would't appear in the family parts pane but would appear in the family parts table. Notice how diameter J is missing from variable in the pane but not missing from the table. Again, if there is a better way than what I have done please tell me.