Driving a parts dimensions to any row in a exel spread sheet?

I was wondering if I had a list of parts, say a flange, with dims documented in excel I could create many parts at once with the spread sheet (each row representing a part with differnt dims but same general shape) or say choose a row in this spread sheet and solid edge creates that part according to that row. I am aware excel can drive a model, but what I have seen is simple. It would be a pain to create 300 parts thats all generally the same by hand.

10 REPLIES

Re: Driving a parts dimensions to any row in a exel spread sheet?

It could be done with Excel or you could use the built in Family of Parts functionality in the Part and Sheet Metal environments.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

have a look at standard parts...

you can create custom parts as you describe from excel table.

[ Edited ]

I tried using spreadsheet with SE for a while and gave up on it because keeping things linked was not initiative. When I create a spreadsheet, it appears that file is embedded

into SE and a not separate file. Also, I'm not sure how spreadsheets relate to the revision manager.

Can any link me a vid or tutorial on how to create a spreadsheet that is permanently linked both ways (info to and from multiple model files)

I know how to create links. It's how to create, save, and maintain updating links to the spreadsheet that's I gave up on.

I found that doing everything inside the variable tables was much faster in the long run because it's more stable.

Can sync features be suppressed? Making a child part I have a sync feature I want compressed.

"Detach" is the way to suppres features in sync.

There is a nice example of using Excel in the Custom folder.

"...\Solid Edge ST6\Custom\Bearing\bearing.xls"

Open it and press Alt+F11 to see the code behind.

LMGi
www.TLMGi.com

My problem is I have a part that I want to create a family of parts for. It is a flange with a few holes with varing dims. Now say I want hole A to be a 1" from the bottom for part A, part B has that hole at 1.5" from the "bottom". Now I am having difficulty creating that part in ordered. The holes do not want to move! I can do it in sync, everything moves fine when I give variables a new value. However I lose the ability to suppress holes that are not included in some child parts and detach doesn't work well for the child part. I am not sure if I can assign variables to dims in oredered and expect them to change like that. If anyone can post a vid of how to do this in ordered it would be great! A simple part that has a varible hole for every child part.

Is the part sheet metal, standard part, or a frame member?

It is a sheet metal part and I could not get it to work for anything. The two holes(J&K) would not move for me when I assigned the variable E & P a new value. I had to delete the parallel relation ship between them for it to work correctly. Then I had to dim each hole to be equal to P so they would all move over together. They all originally had a relation so they would move together but this didn't happen. I don't know what went wrong. My fix did work though, although it is time consuming to dim every hole and set each dim equal to P. Would you do it differently? I also had to add variables because for some reason they would't appear in the family parts pane but would appear in the family parts table. Notice how diameter J is missing from variable in the pane but not missing from the table. Again, if there is a better way than what I have done please tell me.