Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Driving an assembly from Excel

Pioneer
Pioneer

There is a similar topic to this already but it was about replacing a family of parts with excel. My question has nothing to do with a family of parts. I want to replace or delete an instance of a part in an assembly using excel. The reason is I am working on a configurable product with a lot of possibilities and it would speed me up if excel could swap parts in my assembly for me.

4 REPLIES

Re: Driving an assembly from Excel

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

Configuring (delete/replace) parts of an assembly from excel is not impossible but this will involve coding using the Excel API and Solid Edge API. Not aware of any built-in method unless someone has devised a semi-automatic way of accomplishing this without any coding involved.

Phenom
Phenom

When it comes to product configurators you are looking at using the 110% assemblies. Meaning that your top level assembly should contain all parts and then options. You could then use the Excel to control which features are suppressed or unsuppressed. 

Tushar knows the spreadsheet area better than I. So he may need to expand on its capabilities.

BTW- this is what you have to do in almost all the CAD systems if you are not using a knowledge capturing tool  (aka rules engine) on top of the CAD system- the tool used to define the product rules, control feature switches (on/off), calculations, table look ups, pull information from other database like  ERP, etc. Rulestream is on of these types of tools.

Pioneer
Pioneer

That is exactly what I'm trying to do. I want to build a top level assembly with every possible combination of parts. Then excel will use logic to determine for a specific configuration which parts I need to keep and it will delete the rest.

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

If you need help with the coding part in Excel, you can ask me directly or post on the Developer Forum.

I am available for contract programming as well.

~Tushar

Tushar.Suradkar@GMail.com

info@CADVertex.com