Duplicating 3D sketch -Mirror or Rotate

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

How do I duplicate a 3D sketch in a part, ST8?

I have a lead wire that is soldered to a wafer. I am trying to duplicate for a representation on drawing. I had it at one point, but EE's changed spec and am struggling now.

I have on side acceptable, but duplicating on 2nd lead is not working.

Part file attached. Side that is extruded is OK.

The epoxy bead is in another part that is on drawing picture.

Thanks for any help given !!

Gary Dinges | Mechanical Design Engineer II | Probes & New Product Development Emerson Climate Technologies | Therm-O-Disc, Inc.| 1320 South Main Street | Mansfield | OH | 44907 | USA T +1 419 525 8554 gary.dinges@emerson.com

#ONEEMERSON

Sketch of lead wire.jpg

NTC soldered.jpg

6 REPLIES

Betreff: Duplicating 3D sketch -Mirror or Rotate

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi Gary,

I think, what You are trying to achieve is not a morror but a rotation of the existing body.

See attached video, I think, for me this does what You want:

regards
Wolfgang

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thank You very much!!

That worked.

Gary

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi Gary,

to complete my answer:

If You select "body" for rotate/mirror, etc. then You als can select Your 3D sketch as object for the rotation

But IMHO to copy and rotate the entire body for me seems easier and produces less featuires and steps to go through.

regards
Wolfgang

Re: Duplicating 3D sketch -Mirror or Rotate

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

The procedure hawcad posted above worked great for the duplication of the extruded feature.

I am now having a different issue related to the copied feature though. I am using an assembly that includes the part with the two leads (with copied feature) and another part for the epoxy bead. I then create create a 2nd assembly with the 1st assembly as the only part in 2nd assembly. This assembly has an assembly cut feature in it. This is done as the 1st assy leads are trimmed and assigned a unique part number, there will be a number of variations of the trim length. When I do the cut, it only effects the original lead, not the copied lead.

Also, I am in the draft file having to open properties for the assembly setting the SHOW option for the copied feature for each occurence of the part, which are main view, detail view and exploded view. Is there a setting I need to change in part file that has the copied feature to alleviate needing to change display options & also allow the assembly cut feature to shorten both leads?

I attached a zip file with the parts in it and a screen capture showing the result of a cut that was positioned to shorten both leads. Files are done in ST8.

I also attached PDFs of drawing for untrimmed & trimmed NTC's, I don't have draft files with me, I am at home at this point replying to this post. The trimmed version of NTC was created using a copy of original untrimmed NTC and shortening leads in it by adjusting protrusion sketch, not what I want to do though in future if I can get an assembly cut to work with copied feature.

Thank You for the help in getting to this point!!

Gary

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

There are some solutions. @hawcad give a good one.

Here is another one, what is based on patterning:

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

If working in ordered. One trick I pull is creating a new plane with the desired orientation. Then you can paste a sketch at 90 deg without all the horizontal dimensions falling apart.