Duplicating Drawing Views and Dimensions

Creator
Creator

I have to provide drawings to a customer on their title block at the end of my project.  For internal purposes, the drawings need to be on our own title block with our own part numbering scheme.  In the past, we've just converted the drawings to DWG and then deleted the title block and pasted the customer one in.  Then there is a lot of manual entry of title block information.

An idea I had for this time around was to create two separate backgrounds in the drawing template and then pick the right one before converting to DWG.  However, this means doing that for each and every drawing.

My question is this:  Is it possible to have SE automatically copy drawing views and dimensions/annotations onto a separate sheet with a different background?  In AutoCAD, you would just have both sheets reference the same model space area, but I'm not sure if SE has the same functionality.

We're using ST7 (107.00.11.04 x64) .Thanks in advance.

McEngineer
ST7

Trained extensively in SW and Inventor since 2003. Dropped into the deep end with Edge...please help.

Version 107.0011.04 x64
HPZ420
nVIDIA K4000
16GB RAM
Intel Xeon E5-1620 v2 (3.70 GHz)
8 REPLIES

Re: Duplicating Drawing Views and Dimensions

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi there @McEngineer,

I have done this for years, with our Solid Edge draft files......I have 5 different backgrounds [3 internal company trade names & 2 external businesses] set up in my draft template, and swap between the background template[s] used for a draft sheet, quite often.

Further...it is easy enough, to add new background sheets & paste in the boarder & callout text, etc.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Genius
Genius

@McEngineer 

First things first - are you manually writing in title block information, or are you harvesting metadata (Property Text in SE speak) from the parts and assemblies. Hopefully you are harvesting so that title blocks auto-populate.

I don't know of a way to automatically copy views and dimensions onto another sheet, but you can of course just copy and paste yourself. It should work ok, but might muck up parts lists with quantities and things.

It sounds to me that your best bet would be to have different background sheets in the one file, that both auto populate, and you can selectively show one of the other depending on what you are doing. I note though that you said "this means doing that for each and every drawing". You also say though that you manually changed data in the past in the DWG file, so having multiple background sheets must surely be a massive step forward, let alone in cutting the error rate with teh double data entry.

I would be very cautious about having multiple drawings of the same thing, because when you want to make a small change or revision, you have to update it twice. Guaranteed to cause errors at some point. You only have to update once if you use the single view and multiple background option. Views update to a change in the model, but there is no real linking between a view on one sheet to a view of the same part on a different sheet. So if you change the scale of one or something like that, it's not going to update the other view.

Betreff: Duplicating Drawing Views and Dimensions

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @McEngineer

I think a hard core variant also would work - Copy/Paste.

But a better approach would be to change the background sheets.

This could be accomplished with using a Change Background function or macro.

The Change Background function has come with ST9 so it wil not work for You.

But there is/are a macro/macros to do this too.

Or You copy the background into Your templates too and use them on demand.

regards
Wolfgang

Creator
Creator

yes, we are setting up background sheets in the template such that all title block information is pulled from custom properties in the parts/assemblies.  That way, we can pull up the top level assembly and open property manager and enter all the information in one place.

Manually switching backgrounds is what we were planning on doing, but I was hoping there could be another option similar to how AutoCAD handles different paper space sheets.  It sounds like there isn't one.  It's always a little sad when an outdated program like ACAD has features that a newer program lacks.  Maybe once we finally upgrade to ST9 (or, who knows, ST10!) there will be more helpful tools.

McEngineer
ST7

Trained extensively in SW and Inventor since 2003. Dropped into the deep end with Edge...please help.

Version 107.0011.04 x64
HPZ420
nVIDIA K4000
16GB RAM

Genius
Genius
@McEngineer I think that's a good example of software that is quite refined. AutoCad has been around forever so has had plenty of time for relatively minor functionality such as this to be added. It is also software that is pretty well directed at pumping out paper plans, so should be good at that, as against SE (or SW or Inventor) that are more for 3D information and not as focused on making paper.

I can't say I've ever wanted to do what you are trying to do, but I understand it would be a big time saver for you.

Are you able to do what you want in Solid Works or Inventor?

Creator
Creator

Honestly, it has never come up in SW or Inventor so I'm not sure if the functionality is there or not.

It's not that I don't think AutoCAD is refined, it's just that this particular feature was available in ACAD back in 2000.  These days I just expect any CAD program to eventually have all the features of any competition even if it takes a couple years to catch up.  Like you said, ACAD has a different focus and so it would stand to reason that SE wouldn't feel the need to have all the same functions.

McEngineer
ST7

Version 107.0011.04 x64
HPZ420
nVIDIA K4000
16GB RAM

Genius
Genius
@McEngineer obviously the other way to deal with this is to just have two different part numbers on your title block...no doubt that might get some resistance, but you are basically asking software to solve a unique business problem for you.

Phenom
Phenom

One company I worked for used Catia and a PDM system.

There was no drawing border or title block information on the Catia drawing file - just views and dimensions.

The drawing file was then saved as a tif image, which was then put into their pdm system which automatically created a composite pdf - the drawing border being added and all title block information and notes added (this information was held in the PDM system).

I've no idea how this worked but maybe it could be possible to have a system that just exported what you need and merged it with the correct drawing border into a pdf.

This would require that both drawing borders are the same layout and use much the same information.

Whatever method you use I'm sure the export can be automated.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.