Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamic edit of planes in assemblies

Hi all,

Does anyone have a method for editing reference planes in assemblies?

In parts, I have the option of dynamic edit or edit definition. Dynamic edit allows me to modify the current parameter.

In assemblies, it seems I can only edit the definition. If I select edit definition, the plane immediately moves to wherever my mouse cursor happens to be and the original position of the plane is lost.

What this means is if I know I need to move a plane (angled or distance etc.) by a known value, when I select edit definition the original value is lost so I don't know what new value to enter.

I have attached a couple screenshots of what I mean.

Any help is appreciated! all the best,

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Dynamic edit of planes in assemblies

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

Hi @The_fat_Hobbit

The planes in your images seem to be renamed.

So not able to tell whether it was created as a coincident plane or Parallel.

By default they are named as below:

PandCPlanes.png

If a plane is created as parallel, be it Assembly or Part, it will exhibit the behavior you desire.

If the plane is created as coincident, it will attach to the mouse cursor and snap to different geometries, as you have observed.

Regards,

Tushar

www.SurfAndCode.IN

www.CADVertex.com

Thanks for the reply!

I wasn't clear with the question, but I may have answered it myself...

In a .par file, one can "dynamic edit" the plane distance value:

Plane dynamic edit in part 2.JPG

So then one can see the original distance value and edit it, for example it could be 10mm and you can change it to 15mm:

Plane dynamic edit in part 3.JPG

But in .asm files the plane behaves different. One can only "edit definition":

Plane edit definition in assembly 2.JPG

So my question was, how do I "dynamic edit" whilst in assemblies? If I select "edit definition" the original value of the plane distance is lost. If it was at 10mm, I would not know any more as it jumps to ones cursor location as soon as "edit definition" is clicked.

But then I found the answer, one must click the little icon on the bottom left of the screen and a box appears, as if by magic, in the middle of the screen! Not very intuitive it seems...

Plane edit definition in assembly 3.JPG

Now the original value of the plane is shown, and I can edit it accordingly!

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

You are right @The_fat_Hobbit.

I failed to note this difference in the behavior.

And what a fantastic tip! Thanks for it.

A word of caution, for everyone else, based on what I discovered further to verify the above - do not enter Edit Definition mode after selecting the plane.

To edit the distance, select the plane and pick the icon in the bottom-left corner directly.

This should have been on the Command Bar instead.

Alternatively, if you still want to edit the definition of an assembly parallel plane, click the Edit Definition button, and look up the current value from the lower-left corner while the command bar shows and allows to specify the new distance.

In case the old value does not show up, check if the area is hidden and to unhide, move the cursor very close to the header line (indicated by a green arrow in the image below) when it turns into double-headed arrows, then drag up to place in an empty space.

depp.png