ERA dragging

I have a Final Assembly in which I have a sub-assembly placed.  I need to just drag one part in the sub-assembly in my ERA-explode.  However, even with "move selected part" highlighted, it still wants to move the entire sub-assembly.  Im about to lose my cool.  I DO NOT want to bring the parts in seperate because then it will list them as seperate parts in my BOM.  any ideas?

Owner: Scott Lester Drafting & Design
Designer: Rotork Instuments
7 REPLIES

Re: ERA dragging

[ Edited ]

I've tried what you're describing, and I have no issues moving a component in my sub-assembly. I've looked at your screenshot to try and find anything different, and I have one question. What are the two icons next to your sub-assembly's name? I only have my assembly icon, that one to the left of it is not in mine.

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.

[ Edited ]

Good observation @BoatTech

It could be a 'Rigid Assembly' icon, which keeps the components of the assembly being re-positioned ?

I am not sure, I put it together as a regular assembly

[ Edited ]

By default in ERA you can move\explode every single parts even if they are in a sub assembly.

If you want to move a sub assembly all together you need to "group" it.

When a sub assembly is grouped an icon appear beside the assembly icon in path finger.

In your path finder this icon is present so I believe you have messed with it at some point.

You just need to "ungroup" the sub assembly and you will be able to move\explode the single parts again.

"group" and "un group" are 1 icon right from the "drag component" icon. (the name may be different, i have translated the name of my italian version, but the icons are that ones.

Francesco

Thats what doesn't make sense.  I never "grouped" anything.  I put the assembly together with mates, saved it.  Then I inserted it into the final assembly.

Thank you, you were definitly on to something.  I found it, but not sure why it was activated as I never intentionally done it.  There is a "bind" & unbind" button beside "drag component" when in the ERA.  I clicked "unbind" and the icon went away.

Getting a part or assembly to NOT show up in the parts list is easy. Just edit the Occurrence properties.