EXPLODE TEXT

I have been requesting this feature for years. Why can't we explode text in Solid Edge Draft. New kids on the block Onshape can. You just right click on the text, select explode, and your done. Would be nice to have in Edge.

9 REPLIES

Betreff: EXPLODE TEXT

Hi @mezcofab

and what speaks againt Text Profile?

You can use every font on Your computer (True Type), You have several text orientation capabilities afterwards and Yget a outlined text object for nearly every operation which I can imagine that it makes snese to have text as line/curve geometry.

20170520_1732.PNG

If You really need more, then I would suggest to create this text in a part as a sketch or a small protrusion.

Then You will get real edges with lines and arc and curves

Doing this in an PSM You automatically can save this PSM as flat pattern in DXF

regards
Wolfgang

Hi @mezcofab

here is another option to orient this text profil along a curve

20170520_1739.PNG

regards
Wolfgang

The Text profile does not export into a vector entities into the .dxf format. I do use the other approach by creating the text as a sketch in part environment then .dxf out that in draft.

The main reason I would like to see explode text option in draft is when I receive .dwg files from my customers.

We receive a lot of data tags to be etched on stainless steel plate with our laser. Sometimes you get these and it is a lot of text and many tags to create. The main issue with recreating the text in the part environment is that I have to manually recreate all the text, and run the possibility of misspelling the text or forgetting text. Not fun to explain to the customer you did this.

If the draft environment of Solid Edge had an explode text command, I could simply explode text, and then save as .dxf file. The work around is either re create the text in part environment or use another program (AutoCAD, Draft Sight, etc) to do it. Why not stay in Edge and get it done with the best 2D on the market.

While we are on the topic of Text. It would be nice to stretch and skew text or be able to do some artistic envelopes like corel draw has. Wishful thinking here but it is nice functions to have when creating signs and logos for customers........ and before I forget explode this text into vector entities for .dxf output. Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]

Hi @mezcofab

I'm absolutely convinced that there a hundreds of functions and features somewhere in other software packages that could be nice for users.

But the more important question here might be which type of software are we comparing.

IMHO it makes no sense to compare a mechanical CAD package like Solid Edge with CorelDraw.

This more or less is more as comparing apples with pears.

And I also think it will be a question of "how many users can and will use it?"

I think there are more important function waiting for be implemented into Solid Edge than the conversion of a text font into curves.

At the moment it might be applicabale enough to to it within a 3d part, copy the faces to a asketch and then You will have Your curves.

You afterwards can copy this sketch and paste it into a draft.

Just tested and works fine.

20170520_2024.PNG

And You also can select this curve group and scale it as You like.

Also just done with that geoemtry here

regards
Wolfgang

[ Edited ]

... regarding Text Profiles there is IMHO one big issue I'm looking forward for a long time:

to have the posiibility using property text within the text profile.

So it would be possible to put document number etc onto a part or sheet metal surface for cutouts protrusion or etching.

This IMHO will be a big and useful enhancement and improvement

regards
Wolfgang

Re: EXPLODE TEXT

Hi there @mezcofab,

This has been a long standing request, and disgussed on this forum a several times.

The work around I use, is to save the text as a DXF, then import it back into Solid Edge & "Unblock" [pseudo un-explode] the result, which can then be edited....that is until you spot a spelling error, and have to start completely from scratch. Robot Mad

I too would like the ability to adjust the text scale, both width [X] and height [Y], need the ability to be separately controlled by the user.......as well as what @hawcad mentions, regarding propert text.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Hi @SeanCresswell

there is an ER running for years now regarding the property text capability for Text Profile

I will search for when back in the office and share it to the community.

Maybe there are another user nedding that feature and will hang on to it.

regards
Wolfgang

[ Edited ]

Hi EDGERS,

as promised I searched for the R regarind Property Text in Text Profile.

The still open ER number is 1911377

If You look onto that number You will see that it seems to be a bit older, and Yes You are right.

The ER was done with Solid Edge v19 - Yes version 19, and not ST before the name.

I would be very happy, if somebody or better if many other users also would request this funtionallity and can hang onto that existing ER.

Edit:

just get info from GTAC that my ER was hang on the master ER 5679596

So this should be the appropriate number to add Your calls.

regards
Wolfgang