Easy way to rename parts without having to re-constraint it?

Legend
Legend

Hello,

Let's say you have a RHS-profile with dimensions of 40x80x2000 mm. You have saved it as "RHS 40x80x2000.par". You then notice that you have to change it's dimensions to 40x80x2100 and want to rename the save file accordingly. The thing is, if you rename the part, then the assembly where it was placed can't find the part anymore because the name is different.

My question is: is there an easy way to rename a part file you have used in an assembly and not having to re-constraint the newly-named part again to the old assembly?

Cheers

28 REPLIES

Re: Easy way to rename parts without having to re-constraint it?

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

if you rename the part, the assembly where it was placed could find the part, but you have to use Revision Manager to rename your PAR.

You have to do the following:

-Open the part to rename with the Revision Manager

-Click on the first above link with the end : RHS 40x80x2000.par

-You have to click on the Icon shon in the attachement to let Solid Edge know where your RHS 40x80x2000.par is used.

reference.jpg

-Rename your RHS 40x80x2000.par with the RMB 

-Click on APPLY

Apply.jpg

That's it...

Yasser

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Teemu

Alternatively, open the assembly, edit the part and then "save as" new file name.

Roger

PLM World Member Valued Contributor PLM World Member Valued Contributor
PLM World Member Valued Contributor

What happens if there is a dft file associated with the part? Will it be linked after renaming? 

Marc

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Yes, draft is updated.

Phenom
Phenom
Well done!

If you use save as to save a part in an assembly with a new name, a new part will be created with a new name. The dft file will be linked to old part file. You have to use RM to link the draft to the new part.

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

I do this a lot when I'm creating frames using aluminum extrusions (8020 type framing).  If I need a new length, I edit the part in place and use the "save copy as" to create the new part.  When I need to make a draft for the part, I go to Revision Manager, copy the draft file for the previous part to a new name then use "replace" to swap in the new part into the new draft file.  

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

Wold be nice to take all these steps using RM.

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

"Wold be nice to take all these steps using RM."

I was about to follow up with that.  You can do all of the steps using RM.

1.  Open the draft file in RM which then lists the model that drives it.

2.  Use the copy function to copy the draft file to a new name.  You'll still see the "old" model listed below the new draft file.

3.  Use the copy function to copy the model to a new name.  Now you have a new draft file driven by the new model.

Make changes to the new model as needed, open the draft file, hit "update", do any dimension cleanup and you good to go.

I do this frequently as well.  I have one product that has frames that come in six different sizes that vary in width and depth.  I simply copied the drafts and models and did a little cleanup.  This saved hours.  

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1