Edge to face mate

I'm currently migrating from solidworks to ST8 and i'm having really bad time with the mates. Any way we can mate an edge to a face? to make them coincident?

smartfit does not even allow to select an edge. The only mate option that allows edge selection is parallel but instead of making it parallel it makes two edges coincident!

5 REPLIES

Re: Edge to face mate

A mate is only between faces.

You need to use "connect".

...........................................................................................................
Solid Edge ST9 & AutoCAD 2018 user

Normad wrote:

I'm currently migrating from solidworks to ST8 and i'm having really bad time with the mates. Any way we can mate an edge to a face? to make them coincident?

smartfit does not even allow to select an edge. The only mate option that allows edge selection is parallel but instead of making it parallel it makes two edges coincident!

A couple of things. First, FlashFit will allow you to select edges, but not if you have a face selected already. It uses edges to create axial align relationships. Second, parallel will make two edges parallel, not just coincident. To do this, you need to change the offset type to Float instead of Fixed:

By default it is Fixed with an offset of 0, which will make the edges coincident as you noticed.

As Joris replied, you will need to use the Connect relationship which will allow you to connect an edge to a face.

Hope this helps,

Greg

When I made the move from SW to SE, the mating terms are a bit different.

Two important concepts:

1. Float is your friend. Many of the relations you can edit from a fixed to a floating value.

2. Connect is a very useful relation, Point to line or planes, Line to planes, etc....

The one disappointing thing about SE mates is that you cant flip relations after the part is fully specified. Say you mate 3 planes to 3 planes. You have to delete one before you can flip the other, than have to add the 3rd one back.

@12GAGE Generally my solution for flipping after it is fully constrained is to suppress one of the relationships that is preventing the flip rather than delete.  Then flip the relationship that needs to flip.  Finally unsuppress the suppressed relationship.  If it is red,  you may also now need to flip this one as well. 

Brian Fritz
Solid Edge Certified Professional
ST8 latest MP

[ Edited ]

Or, if you see a relation is flipped the wrong way when you create it just roll back to and flip it before carrying on with the next relation.

Of course when you create a relation and it has the possibility of being flipped the wrong way, you know which way it is going to go in...