Highlighted

Edit Formula Command

Genius
Genius

Hi Edgers,

I am looking for a way where I could create a button or a shortcut for a Edit Formula command.

I couldn't find this command within All Comands to add/modify a Quick Access Toolbar.

any idea how to do it ?

It is annoying me to click 3-4 times to add new variable - This should be able to do within the box Select-Dimension Value or quicker way.

thanks

Arek

Production: SE ST9 MP12
;
23 REPLIES

Betreff: Edit Formula Command

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi @arekkul

and what's with a Double-CLick onto that dimension?

Will this help?

regards
Wolfgang

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi @arekkul

or if You are talking about a new customer variable (and not a formular for a dimension) then open the variable table and enter it there into the last line

Tip: on every machine I ever have setted up for SE there YOu will find the shortcut Alt-V to enter the varaible table

Simple, easy and fast

regards
Wolfgang

Re: Edit Formula Command

Legend
Legend

I've been wondering about this too.  IMO SE is clumbsy with doing variables in the modeling environment.  If I want to make the variable i'm placing/editing equal to another variable I should be able to just double click that variable and be done.  If I want some function I can start typing, then double click the other variable to insert it and then finish typing the formula.  This idea of haveing two entry modes on a dimension, one for numbers and another environment for formuli is just something I've learned to live with.  So if someone has a suggestion or there's a checkbox in some menu some where I too would be greatful to hear about it.

Those who know me question the assigned user rank.

Genius
Genius

Hi @hawcad

The Double click the dimension option is very useful - never heard of this before.

thank you.

this will help for a while ...

cheers,

Arek

Production: SE ST9 MP12
;

Re: Edit Formula Command

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi @bnemec

can You better explain what the goal should be?

If I double-clik a dimension, I automatically enter the formula mode.

So from here You can enter any formular into the formular field and You can single-click any other dimension to be placed witihn that formular filed.

Is this what You are looking for?

regards
Wolfgang

Legend
Legend

@hawcad, the keyboard shortcut to the variable table is helpful.  I would have to disagree that it is simple easy or fast.  I find it powerful.  I'm venturing a guess that some difference comes here in modeling style and previous CAD softwares that we get used to.  If someone is doing a fair bit of geometry in sketches, either for skeletal layout or just complicated parts, bouncing back and forth between variable table and the sketch is clumsy.  Imagine if editing a dim was a bit like in excel, where you just select some other variable when you want to insert it.

Edit: we must be typing at the same time.  Smiley Happy

What I'm saying is the formula entering mode is a waste of time, I cannot (or don't know how) to get to it without leaving the dimensioning mode then double click as you say to get the formula mode.  If I'm editing a dimension value, say typing in some number, I should just be able to double click some other dimension and it will paste that variable name into the editing box I'm in.  That is what I was used to and it is simple and fast, the variable rules and formula helper was part of the create dim command.

Those who know me question the assigned user rank.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

If you have the variable table open and you edit formula of a dimension in addition to being able to select another dimension you can cut and paste variable names and formulas from the variable table into the formula box.

But it's true there is no formula helper that is with the dimension itself.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

So @bnemec

this is where the Double-Click come into the play.

(view in My Videos)

See video and I hope it helps

regards
Wolfgang

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

As @hawcad says --> Double Click is the WAY.

Also, don't forget you can click on other dimensions when building the formula in the little dialog that pops up. This too is key -- you don't have to know their variable names.

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development