Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Betreff: Edit Formula Command

Phenom
Phenom
@dcstaples, Yes that is very nice, once you are in the formula editor we can just click other variables. In Inventor you can do that without having to enter the "formula editing mode", there is no formula editing mode, so while you're adding dims to your sketch you can enter formula or numbers. That's my point, the formula editing mode is pointless and clunky in my opinion, just make it part of the dimension value editor so you can enter formula while creating dimensions.

If you cannot find a Solid Edge setting, confirm you have a file open of the type that will be affected.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @bnemec

so I'm not 100% with You.

In other systems You have to double-click from the beginning to enter an input mode anyway.

And You need several more clicks for many operations and modifications too.

There are also others where You have to close by another extra button to get out of input mode.

Where I also not 100% confident about is, wether a combined mode for input as You suggested, will not be a dooer opener for wrong inputs, when entering a value and clcik another dim by accident or so.

On the other hand we are used to do it as we have done it for years or even decades.

And maybe we can not see the advantage of saving additional clicks and modes.

But also to be honest, is it really so, that You can and will define so many formulars when creating a dimension/variable?

I only can sppek for myself but in the first approach I'm used to give concrete values for dimensions before thiniking about automatism and relations to others.

Also I normally first test wether or not any change of a value will be result in an appropriate geometry or wether there is an error in my thoughts and dimensions.

Before using a formula I first change a dimension value always using the mouse wheel to see how it reacts.

This gives me the feeling for good and correct settings and relations.

But again, this can result out of the long period I'm used to have Solid Edge and to work with Solid Edge as it was and as it is.

regards
Wolfgang

Phenom
Phenom

@hawcad, I'm with you on all accounts,except for first paragraph.  Lets say you just created the dimension and about to type in a number for the value, that's it you're already where you need to be to enter a number or formula start typing your formula or double click another dim and it pastes that variable name at the curser for you.  Then you are still in dimension mode and can continue adding dims.  If you want to edit the value or formula just single click the value, same as SE is but you can edit the formula from there, no need to do more to get into the formula mode.  When I came back to SE the biggest struggle for me was when adding dims to a new sketch and I wanted to put a formula in one I cannot do it "on the fly" from the dimension command mode in SE.  That's why I jumped in the thread, hoping someone knew of a setting to do that.

As you say muscle memory and what you are used to using is biggest thing, couldn't agree more.

Also as you say, how you model makes a big difference in how often this matters.  I would guess that in synchronous modeling this is irrelevant, no need for calculated dims in those short lived sketches. 

If you cannot find a Solid Edge setting, confirm you have a file open of the type that will be affected.

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

I wish edge would operate like inventor when initially placing the dimension. In inventor when you go to key in the wanted dimension you can just key in a variable instead. With inventor, all variables start at the beginning first dim is named d0, second is d1 then d2....etc. So when you go to place a dim instead of typing the dim you can instead enter d2 and the dim will become linked to d2. In edge I have to place the dimension fully, then escape, then I can double click the dimension to get to the formula. I wish it was like inventor in this regard.

Solid Edge 2019
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

@bnemec@hawcad

I posted a video on here about a month or so ago showing what I was talking about with the variable entry in inventor, but apparently they don't like it when you post videos or pictures showing how Inventor does something better. I wasn't saying it was better, just trying to show how Edge could take a cue from Inventor to improve itself.

Solid Edge 2019
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"

Noticed you can't double click on PMI dimensions in Synchronous to get the Edit Formula Command...

Ken
Production: SE 2019 MP5, Testing: SE 2020
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

Good point Ken, this should be reported as an IR or be at least a pet peeve.

I felt relieved to see it surviving in the PMI context menu.

Hi @KennyG

and 

@Tushar

it will not solve the initial problem with the double-click but the double click is working with sync dimensions if You are not clicking at the text but at the dimension line

This also will open the formular editor of taht dimension!

regards
Wolfgang

... and here is a small video of above post issue

(view in My Videos)

regards
Wolfgang

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor