Editing assembly relationship offset, possible bug?

Pioneer
Pioneer

Im new to Solid Edge and finding this action to take too many steps. I have some parts that I placed with offset plane relationships as they are just flat parts with no holes or anything to define mating.

There is a toolbar shown when editing assembly relationsips. After editing the offset number in the toolbar and hitting enter or clicking OK, most of the options on this toolbar are disabled. The only thing I can do is change the offest type, change the offset number, or click Flip. The OK button is disabled along with the rest of the toolbar, except for the Relationship Types dropdown, Activate Part button and Placement Part button. I cannot select another relationship, that dropdown is disabled as is the OK button. The only way I can continue to edit relationships is either the Esc key or click Select on the ribbon which terminates editing, then click Assemble on the ribbon to get back into editing the assembly relationships again.

This makes editing the offsets very tedious, it would much easier to just apply the new number then be able to continue editing that relationship or select another relationship to edit rather than having to start over each time. I dont know if I am doing something wrong, if it is something unique to my setup or parts in use, or if this is a bug, the version of solid edge is ST8..

11 REPLIES

Re: Editing assembly relationship offset, possible bug?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

A video showing your process would go a long way in explaining the problem.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I think what you are missing is, when you select an assembly part, the offset values for each mate can be edited.

I run into two problem situations.

First w/ three planer mates, to flip one of the mates, one of the other needs to be deleted then added back.

The other is w/ the Connect offset. There is a bug when you switch from negative to positive values. Since the + direction is not intuative for the connect relation, I have to guess. If I guess wrong (+-) then I have to undo the change then try the other direction.

Phenom
Phenom

@12GAGE - You can suppress one of the relationships instead of deleting.

You can then flip one of the others, unsuppress and then flip that one.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

Pioneer
Pioneer

I cannot upload a video to youtube from work. I am not having any luck inserting a pic into the post either, but.I have attached a screenshot hopefully that will work.  Its just a simple assembly of two flat plates from the training files, assembled first with a mate relationship, then a planar offset for each direction. The screenshot was taken just after editing the offset value. Note that the OK button is disabled as well as the relationship selection dropdown, which does not show any relationship as being selected. Any number entered as the offset value at this point is ignored. You can click the Assembly ribbon button to continue editing the assembly, or click the Select button to get out of the Assembly command, but it would make more sense to allow continued editing of the offset, and allow selecting another relationship to edit.

Phenom
Phenom
The part you have selected is grounded - try picking the other plate to edit its relationships.
HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@kjm You can record a video in SE and save it locally instead of posting to YouTube, then you can attach the video to the forum post.

Based on the pic, it looks like you are back in the Assembly command to ADD a new relationship, not edit an existing one.  To edit existing, make sure the Select tool is active and select the relationship in the bottom pane of Pathfinder.  You should see a small command bar at the bottom of your screen as shown in my pic below.

2017-01-18_9-10-55.png

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP3

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thanks, I did not notice the selection bar at the bottom of the screen to edit the relationships.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

I see in the picture you are using ST8. In ST9, the fastest way to edit multiple relationship offsets quickly would be to use the new Assembly Relationship Manager.

Greg

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@GregLuckett I wonder who developed that? Smiley Tongue

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP3