Editing part miror without change dimension from original part

Experimenter
Experimenter

I want to ask you all about editing part that mirrored.

Can I edit that mirrored part without change the original part?

22 REPLIES

Betreff: Editing part miror without change dimension from original part

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

supposing we are talking about a classic traditional part where You can use the direct modelling functions to change the geometry. 

regards
Wolfgang

Re: Editing part miror without change dimension from original part

Phenom
Phenom

If the dimensions of the mirrored part are changed then the original part will change as well since they are just the same part inserted twice.

To simply change the orientation of the mirrored part, right-click and select Drop. This will allow modifying the position and orientation of the mirrored part within the assembly.

Another option would be to use a simplified version in the mirrored component.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

If the mirrored part is duplicated via "rotation" and not "mirror" then what @Tushar says is correct. However if the mirrored part is duplicated via mirror then a new part is created. In ordered this new part can be linked to the original and if it is you edit the "master" and the mirror changes. If it's not linked or done in synchronous then the mirrored part is independent and can be edited discretely.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Phenom
Phenom

NO.

As a result, I frequently have to make a part again in the mirror form. I make models that need to be configured specific for each job and I never know where edits will happen. Mirroring sheet metal becomes useless.

From another thread, NX does have the capability to do this, SE does not.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

NX has the capability to do what?

Bruce Shand

Phenom
Phenom

In NX, you can edit the mirrored part without effecting the origional or edit the origional with effecting the mirror. The history tree can split at the mirror point for the two parts.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I don't know what other wrinkles NX might entail but you can do that with SE as well using synchronous.

Bruce Shand

Phenom
Phenom

Would be nice, but I can't use Sync for a veriety of reasons. Crisp sheet metal flat patterns being the primary.

Legend
Legend

I edit mirror's all the time, it can be done.  A mirror's base feature is the original, anything edited after only effect the mirror.

Example is a tube space frame (car chassis). Due to my laser shop that cuts the tube, I draw tubes in the sheetmetal enviroment using a .001 slit in the profile. Say i have two tube that'll intersect to form a "V", the first tube has a simple angled notch to the mating tube, my mirror tube (other half of "v") now need to be notched for the orignal part as well. You can see im my picture that the "mir" part has an additional notch.

You can keep the default "_mir" suffix on the part # or simply rename it during the mirror process. I prefer to keep the _mir as the customer knows that the left ot right hand side tubes have the same # besides the "_mir"

-Craig