Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Efficient way to measure length or radius of an edge?

Pioneer
Pioneer

If I want to know the length of an edge, radius of a circle, or normal distance between parallel edges on a part, I know of several ways to "measure" those:

1. go to the "Inspect" tab, select "Measure," and then click the edge(s)

2. selecting an ordered feature, then "dynamic edit" will show its dimensions

3. selecting a synchronous feature such as a hole will show its diameter, but this does not seem to work for just any edge

The most versatile is option 1, but I find this quite cumbersome (requires at least two or three clicks, or perhaps some keyboard shortcut).

For example, Solidworks also has a measurement command, but in addition to that, I can simply select one or more edges on a part at any time (while in normal selection mode), and it will show me the length of the line segment (or radius or normal distance) in the status bar. That is one click instead of three.

Could someone tell me if there is a similar "one click" way to quickly measure the length, radius, or normal distance between edges (the latter would be two clicks)?

Thanks for your help.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Efficient way to measure length or radius of an edge?

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Hi @DvG

I think this command might help you:

1.png

Once selected you can get info about almost everything.

Regards.

Arek

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi @arekkul, thanks for the suggestion. The "Inquire Element" command does indeed tell me all I want to know, but unfortunately it is still a separate command that needs to be activated first. What I am looking for is to have this functionality while the normal "Select" command is active. I was hoping there would be some setting, unknown to me, that would enable this functionality.

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Hi @DvG

May I ask you how many times per day do you check those values?

Even if 100 times, it will take approx. a 60 seconds/day. We spend more time looking on our mobiles unproductively. 

Not every commands and feature and their behaviour between SW and SE will be the same.

What I suggest is to adapt to new.

I am formerly user of SW and I know this pain where some fantastic commands were with SW but I found equivalent with SE - but you have to get used to it and that's it.

Good luck!

Regards,

Arek 

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

Agree with @arekkul

Different programs have different style called Noun/Verb or Object/Action methods which SolidWorks follows.

Solid Edge follows the opposite in this particular case of Measure i.e. Verb/Noun - start the command first, then pick the object(s).

But as you have mentioned, doesn't a keyboard shortcut solve the issue ?

~Tushar

Legend
Legend

Is there voice command software that might resolve all this extra physical work? Smiley Tongue

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

DvG,

you can add e.g 'Inquire element' to the 'Radial menu' [long RMB]

Then it's very quick to bring up.

Good luck!

2018-08-08 16_17_51-Solid Edge 2019 - Assembly - [bilbaby.asm].jpg

Siemens EMEA GTAC Support

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @DvG

or You define a keyboard shortcut yourself for this function.

regards
Wolfgang