Solved! Go to solution

Embedded Document Color

Hello All,

My department is just now starting to finally develop a drafting standard.  As we do this, we are working on different colors for different line types, and working in the AutoCAD Model color scheme for editing our .dft file (Note we are working with ST4).  We generally use Excel and Word embedded objects for our various tables, but either we print them black, and can't see them in the draft file (as the background is black), or we change the color to something else, but then it is printed in this color.  I noticed the "print all colors as black" specifically doesnt apply to embedded files  Also, when I edit the print settings for these embedded files, it also doesn't work.  Is there any way to display these word or excel files so that you can read them on top of the black background, and still print completly black?

2 REPLIES

Re: Embedded Document Color

Have you tried using our equivalent of "Color 7" in AutoCAD? This is white on a black background and black on a white background. Seems like it would work -- never tried it with XLS. Its the "half black/half white" triangles in the color picker. 

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author PSNSOE
‎08-26-2015 04:32 AM

Re: Embedded Document Color

dcstaples wrote:

Have you tried using our equivalent of "Color 7" in AutoCAD? This is white on a black background and black on a white background. Seems like it would work -- never tried it with XLS. Its the "half black/half white" triangles in the color picker. 

dcstaples,

Thanks, but changing the color didn't seem to do anything.  If I right click and go to the properties menu, Solid Edge calls it a "Symbol" (per the properties window called Symbol Properties).  The floating toolbar does have a color option, however this does nothing that I can tell. 

We have found at least a work-around that we intend to use unless we get a better answer on this thread.  What we found is that if you "fill" the cells of a table with white, this will white out the background in the draft file, allowing you to read the black text on a white background (applicalbe to MS Word and Excel).  For general text, you can make the page color black (this isn't printed, just displays the blank space as black), then make the text whatever color you want to see it for editing.  In printing options, under advanced, we found an option to print all text as black.  Its a weird solution, but it works. 

Thanks.