Embedded Spreadsheets in Draft

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I am embedding a parts list in an excel spreadsheet into a draft document.  I use insert object Worksheet to do this.  I input my data, and then close.  If I resize one of the columns after inserting the object, one of the columns drops off the right side.  I cannot expand the view window to get it back.  If I grab a corner, it resiszes the spreadsheet on the page.  Is there a way of fixing this, without selecting all cells and cutting and pasting it into a new object?  This has been an ongoing source of frustration.

6 REPLIES

Re: Embedded Spreadsheets in Draft

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

When you edit the spreadsheet, do you have Excel maximized to the screen?

I have found weird workarounds to properly size an Excel list in the draft if Excel is not maximized.  By adjusting the size of the Excel application window and/or the workbook window (within the Excel application window), I can sometimes get the proper display in Solid Edge after exiting Excel.

But frankly, with the latest Table tools in Solid Edge, is there any reason to keep using Excel?

Legend
Legend
I use excel to generate a graph for a Post Weld Heat Treat drawing, there are a bunch of formulas that follow a few inputs. The tables provided by SE are like tables in word, text boxes.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I have to agree.  The tables, while vastly improved, are crude representations of true spreadsheet functionality.  They are a major PITA to manipulate and change the font sizes or column widths, or use them for other than the most basic of functions.  I would much prefer that they fix this bug with OLE Excel objects.  This bug has been around for many years, and I see that they still haven't squashed it.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Try this: (it works for me)

While editing the embedded spreadsheet grab a corner and expand the window to reveal the expanded column. You must be in edit mode.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Did ST8 add the ability to place a variable into a single cell of a table? (not by row or column)

If yes, what kind of tables?

Legend
Legend
No, I hear that ST9 will be able to do so.