Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Engeneering reference - Spring

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

I use a spring in an assembly. I found one in a suplier catalog and thougt I could draw/create this easy in the engeneering reference. This is what I want:

rChbKKC

This is what I get after I click on create:

Rin0dSz

Am I messing around or is SE?

(SE ST 10 MP3)

...........................................................................................................
Solid Edge ST10 & AutoCAD 2019 user
5 REPLIES

Betreff: Engeneering reference - Spring

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Joris

this is what I get out of Engineering Reference using Your parameters

20180130_1606.PNG

regards
Wolfgang

Gears Phenom

I don't use Engineering Reference, but when creating springs, I typically model a cylinder, add some loops on the ends, then use a texture to simulate the coils.  I find it's a lot easier on me and my workstation.  Also, I find it easier when I'm using adjustable parts to simulate the spring movement.  In the spring model, I create a sketch with some small circles to create a reference point on the inside tangency of the loops so I have an easier time constraining the spring in an assembly.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @kjoiner

same to me.

I only did the test to see wether or not the Engineering reference will works as assumed or not.

IMHO it doesn't make to much sense, designing a spring in realtiy mode.

As You mentioned, a cylindar a thread texture and 80% transparancy.

Done, and usable as adjustable part too without any problems.

regards
Wolfgang

Gears Phenom

Tx both!

I made a cylinder (adjustable) to simulate the spring, so for now it's OK:

But I still want to know (just to know) how to make the spring with ER. I'll try again. it's me who is messing, not SE apparently. Man Tongue

...........................................................................................................
Solid Edge ST10 & AutoCAD 2019 user

Gears Phenom

Hello,

I also use this technique with torsion springs.   I my application, I made a family of parts to show the spring arms in the non-deflected and deflected position so I could make a fabrication drawing and also show it in the assembly.

I need to explore using an adjustable part for the torsion spring but that will be trickier since the spring arm is tangent to a surface of an actuator arm on a door.

Woflgang, I really like your idea of using transparency.  I'll give that a try.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1