Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Engineering Notebook that is associative

Builder
Builder

I had one of our Mechanical Engineers stop in yesterday to ask me if we had a way to associate notes with models.  For instance, we may be designing and modeling a weldment.  During that process, the Designer and/or the Engineer would be able to digitally jot down notes, calculations, figures that drove the design.   That file of notes, calculations, etc. would then be linked to the weldment so that when someone pulled up the model at a later date, all the info is there. We currently work in a unmanaged/windows server system.  He said that the previous software he worked with had this function within it.  I think he said Pro-e was the software he used to work with.  I asked him if maybe that was a third party app he might have been using.  He couldn't say if it was or not.  

This isn't a critical issue or anything.  I was just wondering what other users are doing.  

Thanks.

Brian C. 

22 REPLIES

Re: Engineering Notebook that is associative

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Look at Binder functionality. You can embed files of various types including, I suppose for your case, Word or text files.

Binder.JPG

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP7 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Builder
Builder

Thanks Bruce.  I knew that was there, but forgot about it.  

I think this user was looking for something in the model itself.  like to be able to right click on a part and open any associated documentation.  I'm guessing I am starting to get into the area of a PDM.

Thanks again!

Brian C.

Well in lieu of that direct approach I suppose you could edit in place a part and look at its binder.

Or, if you're not writing a book, you could add PMI annotation to the part then in the assembly RMB on the part, select Show/Hide Component and turn on PMI annotation, look at it, then turn it off. You may have to show only that part to see the annotation though depending on the complexity of the assembly.

Bruce Shand

Builder
Builder

Bruce, 

We have looked at the PMI option as well.  I believe we as a department need to utilize the PMI functionality much more. Problem is, it seems to add some "overhead" to the model.  The smaller assemblies aren't bad, but by the time you get into more than 100 parts in an assembly, it can drag it down. 

I do think that the binder is what we are going to have to proceed with for now.

Thanks Bruce.

Brian C.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

If you're using ordered, maybe just a sketch with your notes would work as it would show up in the tree.

Builder
Builder

Matts,

Thanks for the suggestion.  We tried that and it works while you are in the assembly if you edit the profile or edit definition on the profile.  Otherwise it doesn't show up.  Maybe I am doing something different?

If the note is in an ordered sketch in a part which is in an assembly, right click on the part, go to show/hide component and select sketch. Essentially the same process as a PMI callout.

Bruce Shand

Phenom
Phenom

Simple. Inistall, configure and use a PDM system. What you are describing is exactly what they are designed for! ;-) 

Not sure "simple" is the right word, Ryan. Smiley Happy

Bruce Shand