Engrave a design on a model

Hi.

I have created a model (which is to be made from plywood) but I need to engrave a design on to it. I know how to engrave words/fonts on to the product, but I dont know how to engrave an image. I have the image saved  as a jpg, is there a way to import it, and resize it on to the side of model and then engrave it.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Kind regards

19 REPLIES

Re: Engrave a design on a model

I don't think this wil be a fast solved issue...

jpg is raster, CAD is vector.

So you will need to translate your raster drawing to a vector drawing. Sometimes program's like http://wintopo.com can help you start, but most of the time I insert the image and draw over it.

Maybe, if you are lucky, the client also has a .ai (illustrator) file or some other graphic vector file. That's perfect for translation to dwg and that dwg you can import in SE.

...........................................................................................................
Solid Edge ST9 & AutoCAD 2018 user

[ Edited ]

I could not describe it better Smiley Happy
This is indeed the solution.

Be ready to delete some double lines, that will happen.

-------
Daniël Schuiling
Solid Edge ST7
Teamcenter 10

See this video from @Imics

[ Edited ]

DanielMCMLXXXII wrote:

Be ready to delete some double lines, that will happen.

That is an important tip.

And Solid Edge provides the Clean Sketch command for the purpose:

~Tushar Suradkar

www.CADVertex.com

Hi, Thank you for your comments.

I have converted the to dwg files, but I still can't seem to import on to solid edge model. What should I select in order to to so, as the insert selection doesnt seem to import dwg.

Thanks, your help is much appreciated.

First of all.

In what formats do you have the source file?

...........................................................................................................
Solid Edge ST9 & AutoCAD 2018 user

[ Edited ]

I don't think there is a direct way to insert a DWG into Solid Edge model or sketch.

Open the DWG in Solid Edge first using a Draft template and then copy-paste the Solid Edge 2D objects thus generated, into a model sketch or a reference plane. Then use the curves to project on to model faces.

See this related discussion.

~Tushar

Hi, The file is an ANSI Metric Part (par), and the image (which needs to engraved on to the part) in a PDF/ JPG/ DXF and DWG format. I have tried copying and pasting via the 2D/ ANSI Metric Draft, and the image appears on the part but it does not attach to the face of the part. I can't seem to get the part to sit on the face so I can trace over or engrave.

Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Also the dwg file doesn't open in 2d draft.