Engrave on solid edge part

Hi I have a vector image (outline);on ink scape and I need to engrave it on to a solid edge part. How do I upload it on to solid edge?
20 REPLIES

Re: Engrave on solid edge part

Can you save the vector as a dwg or dxf?   If so, you can bring it into a draft file, then copy it into a sketch in your part file for use as a profile for a cut operation.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1

Hi,

Here is a video about steps:

File -> Save as dxf... and you have to open this dxf in Solid Edge...

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Hi. I opened it out on to solid edge draft which is fine. And then when copy and pasting it on to the part it does not work.

Hi I tries but it doesn't work properly. The vector outline of a drawing becomes a solid line which is not the same and won't be any use to engrave with.

@Ravi7773333 So this is more like an etching?

@Imics, Did Inkskape ensure all lines were contiguous or did they just happen to be that way?

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP6 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Yes. Etching or engraving. I have the dxf file ready for the model and I have the dxf file ready for the image outline I just need to place them together.

So, you have your dxf file opened in solid edge. Take your part, or psm fille, and add sketch. From here, you copy your dxf file, and paste into your sketch for your part/psm. Then you close sketch, and choose etch.

This is not working for you?

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.

So I open up a new SE draft. I upload the part on to the draft. I have the part outline. And I want to copy and paste the image outline from inkscape on to the draft outline but it does not work properly. The outline of the image becomes a solid line. But I can copy and paste from draft sight dxf. If I save it will it be fine to use?

When I copy and paste and save as dxf on the draft it does not appear when you try to open the file.