Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error opening .stl and .iges files

Pioneer
Pioneer

I keep getting this error when I try to open .stl or .iges file.

"The specified template cannot be accessed. Please specify another template."

I then get to choose a template I would like to use but get this error...

"Part Template file not found. Make sure that you template file location is set properly. Go to Solie Edge Options/Helpers and click Set Default Templates."

When I go check the Set Default Templates, it is pointing to where I have them saved. This is the same location that I use to start a new part and it works just fine. I can't figure out why it cannot find this location when opening the .stp and .iges files.

FYI: I recently copied the Standard Templates from my local machine to a location on our network and then changed where Solid Edge looks for the Standard Templates via the registry. The users that have had their registry updated to the new location are having the same issue. The users who have NOT have their registry updated can open the .stp and .iges but their Set Default Templates looks exactly like mine does.

19 REPLIES
Highlighted

Betreff: Error opening .stl and .iges files

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @jbutter

... copied or moved to a network location?

IMHO the implicite template folders were the templates within SE installation folders.

Check wether there are those files in place and wether the users have accees to them.

regards
Wolfgang

Pioneer
Pioneer

We still have access to them but I edited the registry to look to the new location. The files in the new location are just copies of the template files located here...

C:\Program Files\Solid Edge ST8\Template

@jbutter,  I'm wondering why you set the template locations in the registry. You can set the location in SE Options/File locations.

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP7 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Pioneer
Pioneer

We did it through the registry because we wanted everyone using the same set Standard Templates. If you change it in the File Locations, it only updates the User Templates. Then everyone has both the Standard Templates and the User Templates (and will use the wrong ones). By doing it through the registry, we basically made our customized User Templates the appear as everyone's Standard Templates.

It is just an attempt to make it easier to roll out changes to everyone.

You might want to look into using options.xml and having all machines point to that. It's the top entry in the file locations page. You can edit it using SEAdmin.exe or other xml editors.

Bruce Shand

Pioneer
Pioneer

How do you adjust the template location using the .xml file?

@jbutter,  I don't have time today to break it down in my words for you but here are a couple of help topics that should help you. Feel free to ask questions.

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/se/110/se_help/#searchSmiley Tongueage=1;rpp=10;query=options.xml

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/se/110/se_help/#uid:seadmin1h

edit: That emoticon in the link is odd but the link still works.

Bruce Shand

Pioneer
Pioneer

The SEadmin.exe is a much easier way to configure the settings the way we want. 

As far as the templates, the SEadmin.exe will only change the User Templates. Do you know of a way of setting the overriding the Standard Templates?

I don't understand the problem you're having with templates.

Bruce Shand