Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Etch on a curved sheet metal part

Creator
Creator

Is it possible to etch on a curved sheet metal part? We do a lot of flat patterns that require alignment and reference marks to be marked on finished cut parts. Is it possible to etch a projected line to a curved surface and then have it flattened. This is somthing we have been having to go to Rhino to do.

4 REPLIES

Re: Etch on a curved sheet metal part

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi there @SHAYNE,

I don't understand the full extent of your geometry, but, does it work for you, if the etching is done in the "Flatten" model state?...or is there geometry that can only be derived from the curved part??

Are you able to show a screen capture of what you're trying to do???

I do this [albeit a very basic example attached] from time to time, where holes are too small to be laser cut, but I want them in the part for assembly & draft detailing....so etch mark them so they "hopefully" don't get missed.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge 2019 [MP1] Classic [x3 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Legend
Legend

Solid Edge doesn't provide the etch option for round/curved faces only flat.

I wish it could, but it doesn't you only could place it in the Flatten like Sean said.

Sander
The Netherlands

Creator
Creator

This is basicaly the situation we have on a day to day basis. Curved part that needs reference line marks on it, so it can be aligned with other parts on the job. reference lines are projected to curved parts surface.

Projected curve.JPG

In the past i have made a small extruded cut, this creates 2 edge lines in the .dxf flatpattern, I delete the the one I dont want in the file and go from there. When doing over 100 parts gets a bit time consuming.

this process fails if the sheetmetal part has any twist in it.

Cheers Shayne 

Phenom
Phenom

@SHAYNEIs it maybe an option to instead of etching, you use very small notches at the edge of the part instead? I do this with large cylindrical assemblies with multiple sections that must be stacked on top of each other and must be oriented to the correct clock position.

Solid Edge 2019
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"