Every file are read only

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi, suddenly every file I open is read only, even those I saved on my C:\ so it's not a server problem. And the open file as read only box is not checked.

This is not fun.

ST9
Conveyor and industrial equipment designer.
Giving SE a chance.
9 REPLIES

Re: Every file are read only

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Rebooted and everything is fine. Any clue why this happens? I am working with visual studio to make macros that auto create draft from .psm. Could this be related?

ST9
Giving SE a chance.

Genius
Genius

One of the biggest causes of this is having the folder, in windows explorer, open while  working in your model. From what I've heard, it's not really a SE problem but Windows'. Windows tries to generate a thumbnail view while you're editing the file, making windows the main editor. Don't know if this is all true, but this is some information I recieved from a friend who uses Inventor and had the same problem.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

This seems plausible , everything was working fine when I read your post so I opened windows explorer and now I have the problem once again. I Have to reboot again

ST9
Giving SE a chance.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

So this is the reason to NOT drag and drop for explorer and use the tools inside SE to insert parts?

Another reason to go back to calling windows file management "Exploder"

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I have lived on a dual screen setup for many years, using windows explorer to drag files into Solid Edge, be that for assembly, draft, or just opening that file via double click.

While I have experienced the read only thing sporadically, it has been so minimal, that I don't consider this to be a direct issue with that combo.

We run our files from a NAS box, in an un-managed environment. [other than me banging on at our users with their sometimes very interesting file/folder names]

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Phenom
Phenom

@Jramsey85, in relation to thumbnail previews, here is some information I've compiled on the subject from my posts on the old locked GTAC customer forums:

Windows 7 creates thumbs.db system files in the working folder, even when thumbnail views are OFF. To fix this:

-Go into Local Group Policy Editor. (Type gpedit.msc in the Start/Run bar)
-Navigate to User Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Explorer
-On the right, right-click "Turn off the caching of thumbnails in hidden thumbs.db files" and edit.
-Change to Enabled, reboot computer

This issue existed before Win 7, and disabling thumbnail caching in XP would prevent thumbs.db creation if it became a problem. Windows 7 creates thumbs.db files even with this behavior deactivated through folder view options. From what I've found, Win 7 is MUCH worse about cleaning system files up and releasing permissions, on network drives only. When working on a local drive, thumbs.db files are cached to appdata on the hard drive, whereas network locations cache thumbs.db files in the actual folder being mucked around with. Win 7 seems to have a hard time clearing up these network-located thumbs.db files, which is why pulling work onto the local hard drive works fine for saves 99% of the time where a network would bomb out and corrupt your file. I have to wonder if Windows 7 cannot quickly recover from network blips as far as continuing to process cleanup of these thumbs.db files is concerned.

This Windows behavior used to create a huge save bug, but I believe Solid Edge solved this problem several versions ago. Perhaps your friend that uses Inventor could benefit from this fix?

-Dylan Gondyke

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Any chance you're using Spy for Solid Edge during your development? I know for a fact that it can cause this issue and requires you to close and reopen Solid Edge before it fixes. I took great lengths to prevent the issue but .NET makes it difficult considering what Spy is trying to do.

Jason Newell
Applications Architect
www.jasonnewell.net

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Opened SolidEdge Spy and got a read only.This is the cause Smiley Happy

ST9
Giving SE a chance.

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Just a quick follow up. This issue has been addressed and is mentioned in my latest API Bugs blog post in the developer blog.

Jason Newell
Applications Architect
www.jasonnewell.net