Excel file display issues in draft file ST7

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Is there any documentation or Tribal knowledge about controlling display of Excel files in draft files?

I have an ongoing issue with the display of desired area of an Excel file is not be maintained after opening the excel file for edititing, then closing file. The area that should be displayed from Excel file often, but not always changes to less of the spread sheet, and I can not expand visible area with excel sheet border handles.

Excel files are embeded, not linked. Excel file format is XLSX. Excel 2007, print range is set for desired display.

I am working on dual monitors, NVidia Quadro 500. Windows 7, ST7 MP9.

2 screen captures attached of expected and intermittent display of file.

Gary Dinges | Mechanical Design Engineer II | Probes & New Product Development Emerson Climate Technologies | Therm-O-Disc, Inc.| 1320 South Main Street | Mansfield | OH | 44907 | USA T +1 419 525 8554 gary.dinges@emerson.com

31 REPLIES

Re: Excel file display issues in draft file ST7

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I find if I double click to go into Excel and drag the lower right corner to the cell I want it shows correctly although you might need to move the border(s) in Excel again another click to get it perfect.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Phenom
Phenom

I had so much difficulty using excel as a work around for the built in table shortcoming's I gave up long ago.

Excel works well as input control, but for display and output, using excel was very difficult to make update and display correctly.

I have resorted to very old school display of text rows using annotation and add/removing spaces as needed to get thing to closely line up.

The built in variable update nicely. getting excel to stay linked and display in draft......UG. I think it can be done, but it sucks.

I just wish there was a way to display a variable within a single cell of a table. As it is now, you can only control either rows or columns. Not any specific cell.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

To bad you can't override the cell value and put property text codes in to do what you want...

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Grundey wrote:

To bad you can't override the cell value and put property text codes in to do what you want...

That would be something!

Bruce Shand

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Is there a way to create a Solid Edge draft table from an existing Excel file?

This would solve some of the issues I have with inconsistent display of excel files. Excel is much easier to create formats for charts in. Then if that excel file could be converted to a table format, it would then be somewhat more stable. I realize that the import would be limited to layout without formulas, cell references etc, but if this were a known limitation it would seem to be helpful.

Gary Dinges | Mechanical Design Engineer II | Probes & New Product Development Emerson Climate Technologies | Therm-O-Disc, Inc.| 1320 South Main Street | Mansfield | OH | 44907 | USA T +1 419 525 8554 gary.dinges@emerson.com

Phenom
Phenom

I tried that (Excel tables) as a work around for not being able to put variables into Table cells. I found the results unstable and difficult to update.

I have resorted to using old school text rows of annotation where you can't really line up columns unless each column is it's own set of annotation.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@Gary_Dinges, I have had pretty good luck with embedded Excel tables in drafts. What do you mean by no cell references and formulas?

Bruce Shand

Phenom
Phenom

Gary_Dinges wrote:

Is there a way to create a Solid Edge draft table from an existing Excel file?

Gary:

An App for creating a Solid Edge Table from Excel is available on this page.

Your company will need to purchase this App.

~Tushar

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@Tushar, I don't see prices on that site. How much is it?

Bruce Shand