Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Excel file display issues in draft file ST7

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Can excel tables be placed in draft that automatically update from variables? Or is this a one time operation anytime the data in the table changes?

If it does not automatically update 100% of the time, to me, it's useless.

On average, I have 200 updating annotations being displayed every draft. I don't have time to check every number that updates. I expect it to work cleanly.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Gary, I have a simple app to create SE tables from Excel or any other table based format you can copy to the clipboard.  To use, just copy your cells to the clipboard, run my app and select title/header info, and then hit OK.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=432DC3FB7DFC6DF1%211024

Ken
Production: SE 2019 MP8, Testing: SE 2020
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

@bshand wrote:

SW has the export function

Not sure if Copy Contents was always there, but certainly not intuitive compared to an emphatic 'Export To Excel'.

I am a hard core Edger, but such workflows are differentiators for SW which gift-wraps it's RC toys with fully-charged batteries in place so the kids can just unwrap and start flying. Whereas SE expects to first read the instruction manual, go out and purchase a battery set, assemble the RC toy before you can lay your hands on the remote control.

I am sure if I wrap all existing functionality for a Table to Excel App, it would make someone's life easier, except this time around it would carry a price tag along. @bshand would your company be interested in buying such a utility.

~Tushar

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom
I do use "Copy contents" in BOM since Solid Edge V7 (not ST7), I don't know if existed before.

@Tushar, Interesting analysis there. Anyway, no, we rarely convert BOMs to Excel and as we RC officianados know, it ain't that hard with plain vanilla SE. I sort of regret bringing it up.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

No problem Bruce. SE development might also have sensed the same - too few users to add a export feature.

The free Apps download page meanwhile just crossed the 30 mark and the paid ones have a price column added. Some free Apps might be promoted to the paid Apps area, like the Excel to Table App, so more free Apps can be supported.

~Tushar

Genius
Genius

Screen shot of imported excel file attached in draft file.

Top chart is embedded excel file displayed as intended.

Lower chart is converted table using Excel2Table.exe.

Screen shot of excel also attached shown with table.

While a step in the right direction, it would take far more time to use this and then reformat all excel data. The purpose of wanting to use excel is to be able to have data formated as needed. This wipes out all formatting, simply drops data into rows & columns of a vanilla table.

Thanks,

Gary

Digging deeper into the API, Solid Edge vanilla tables do support cell formatting like the Font, Bold, Italics, Underline, Vertical and Horizontal alignment for every individual cell. But that would call for substantial coding effort on part of either Ken or me.

I remember writing this App originally for creating a Draft Table from a Variable Table, where the formatting was not at all important.

I also contemplated the Draft Table to update when variables changed, but again that involved much more programming and no one asked for it.

CADVertex is open for business 24x7, but that should not stop anyone asking for free Apps. It's my passion and will continue pursuing relentlessly.

Tushar Suradkar

The secret to SE tables is in the formatting.  Unlike Excel which provides a bunch of adhoc formatting tools to merge/border/color cells at will, SE Tables depend on a formatted Style for their look (think engineering documentation standards for the reason why...).  To do what you want, you need to create that Style and have the cell merging options set.  Then, to get it to work, you need to have the identical value in all of the vertical cells that need merged, so even though you have a nicely formatted Excel table, it does not contain enough data to even automatically generate the same table.  The table you desire would be easy to get after the conversion if you had the correct Style settings.

Ken

@Tushar wrote:

Digging deeper into the API, Solid Edge vanilla tables do support cell formatting like the Font, Bold, Italics, Underline, Vertical and Horizontal alignment. But that would call for substantial coding effort on part of either Ken or me.

I'll leave that up to you Tushar, I'm happy to leave mine as Excel2Table "Lite" Smiley Happy

Ken