Excel file in draft

Is it possible to paste an excel file into a draft and have it keep the link?

11 REPLIES

Re: Excel file in draft

When you place a word/excel file into SE it seems to litterally add it to the .dft file and breaks the link to the original document.

I use an excel table with a time x temp graph for a post weld heat treat process and a refractory cure process. You just double click on the ole(autocad term) and it opens ina  quasi excel window for editing.

[ Edited ]

Are you implying that to keep things linked, the spreadsheet is created using the Quasi Excel that is available inside SE. IE you cant take an existing spreadsheet and keep it linked?

Because of linking problems I stopped using spreadsheets inside of drafts long ago. I'm wondering if that was my problem.

Also, can variables be linked to individual cells so that a table can be presented. Right now I have tables of variables that are simple lines of annotation because there is no way to place variables into tables cell by cell. This would be a good work around if I can get it to update and be stable.

(view in My Videos)

Brian Fritz
Solid Edge Certified Professional
ST10 latest MP

I had found that as soon as I had closed the original excel document the links seemed broken which doesn't really matter for what I was working on anyway as it basically worked like it had in autocad.

If I could figure out how to link variables in a draft file to an external/internal excel file and retain the links it would be even better but I have not invested the time in trying to work that one out. Our autocad title blocks were driven by an excel sheet, one column had our drawing names and the rest had the other properties, if the file name matched the rest was filled in so all we had to do was maintain the drawing list excel file.

Fritz, link is dead "cannot contact server".

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Unfortunately, Solid Edge doesn't support embedded excel file with link between cells and variables...

This should be nice in lots of cases. Smiley Surprised

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

It would nice if it worked though seeing as SE doesn't do logic or math.

[ Edited ]

@nanan00 Link is working fine on my end.  Are you using a PC or cell phone?  Your phone may not be encoded for your device, in which case try a PC and should work.

Brian Fritz
ST10 latest MP

nanan00 wrote:
It would nice if it worked though seeing as SE doesn't do logic or math.

Agreed.  It would be nice if you could create a parametric equation by entering an equation based on a variable.  Polar equations would also be nice.  

The workaround is creating a curve by table and within the embedded excel file, setting up points for the 3D line based on equations.  In this way you can accomplish the same thing but takes a lot more effort.

Brian Fritz
ST10 latest MP