Excessive spacing on coordinate dimensions

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

Hello,

Well, I hate to keep pounding on coordinate dimesnions, but I really hope some improvements can be made in the auto-spacing of the coordinate dimensions.  I'm dimensioning a panel and the X axis dimensions are really spreading out across the page.  Take a look at the attached picture.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1
13 REPLIES

Re: Excessive spacing on coordinate dimensions

PLM World Member Phenom

Hello,

I moved the spacing manually and attached is an image of what I really want them to do.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

PLM World Member Phenom

Hello,

I have submitted IR 7675900 regarding this issue.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

PLM World Member Phenom

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is slated for a future enhancement, but I'd really like to have better control over the automatic spacing of coordinate dimensions.  Here is a simple part that had auto spacing which I then cleaned up.  By reducing the jogging, I was able to eliminate some unnecessary jogs on some dimensions and tidy things up.

Coordinate Cleaned Up.JPG

That works until I need to add another dimension and then the jogs go back to their original spacings and really eat up room.

Coordinate Added Dimension.JPG

There is no need for every dimension to be jogged and especially such a large amount.  A constant space applied to every dimension consumes too much real estate and still requires clean up work.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

Phenom
Phenom

It appears to me that there is some "padding" around the text box that is causing the spacing issue. What do you think?

PLM World Member Phenom

Ryan,

That seems to be the case.  There needs to be some more "intelligence" built into the alignment where each dimension is only moved enough to clear its neighbor.  When I cleaned up the dimensions in the example, you notice there are dimensions that did not need jogs so I removed them.  Also, the alignment jogs should always move away from the datum.  Currently, they move either direction.  The example of Cadkey 99's coordinate dimension alignment I've shown several times in the past does it right way.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@kjoiner " Also, the alignment jogs should always move away from the datum."

Is that an actual standard? Seems impractical in many instances. Even in your "ideal" example the jogs go both ways.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

PLM World Member Phenom

Bruce,

I'm not sure if it's a standard, but it seems to be a much cleaner way to align the dimensions.

Here is a comparison between Cadkey and SE using the same part and the same Y axis dimensions:

Bracket with SE Coordinate Auto Jog.JPG

Solid Edge auto jog enabled.  Dimensions are jogged whether they need it or not, and the spacing is fixed which really spreads them out.

Cadkey Coordinates Unaligned.JPG

Cadkey coordinate dimensions placed but not yet aligned

Cadkey Coordinates Aligned.JPG

Cadkey dimensions after hitting the align button.  I can also go back any time and add more dimensions or remove dimensions, hit the align button and they will align again as needed. 

Notice the difference in the jogs and the amount of room the SE dimensions consume vs. the Cadkey dimensions.

Kyle 

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

PLM World Member Phenom

I missed the .036 dimension in the bottom image of my previous post.  I just added it, hit the align button and it's quickly aligned.

Cadkey Coordinates with Added Dimension.JPG

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Yeah, it's a shame SE is so bad at something apparently so basic.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200