Exploded Parts List | Balloon to Subassembly

When using an exploded parts list on the face of the drawing, is there a way for the balloons to reference the subassembly and not the component part that it is attached to?

Re: Exploded Parts List | Balloon to Subassembly

Hello Scott,

create Parts List, go to Option of Parts List -> List control tab -> Choose unwanted parts and exclude them.

Is this what you want?

Best regards,

JK

[ Edited ]

No, I want to use the Balloon Annotation and click on a the view and get the balloon number for the subassembly, not the component part that the leader is graphically connected to.

Hi @swertel

this should work with ST9

AFAIK and as far as I have understood Your question this is one of the enhancements which came with ST9

regards
Wolfgang

Thanks @hawcad,

We're still on ST8. I'm making the transition plan to ST9, which includes lots of changes to the network fileshare to take advantage of the built-in data management as well as to review our design & drafting practices to take advantage of many of the enhancements over the years that our habits have prevented us from exploring.

I'll look through the What's New document again and see if I can find this enhancement listed in ST9.

[ Edited ]

The only way I know to do it is to specify "include assembly as a single item". Which will cause the parts in the assembly to be excluded from the list. I think it would be nice to be able to specify the assembly item number without excluding the sub-parts.

Edit: I don't see that ability in ST9. I think they did add "from graphic connection to assembly" from the property modifier but I don't get why "item number" isn't a selection.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP3 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

In ST8, it's only available in the "From Graphic Connection" selection set, not "From Graphic Connection to Part."  I'm assuming, then, that "From Graphic Connection to Assembly" will be similar to Part and not have it either.

The property text you are looking for is

"Parts List Item Number"

That property is available in graphic connection but not in graphic connection to part, or assembly as you speculated. I wonder why. In any case it seems we are SOL. The ability to toggle a balloon's reference to the part directly or the next higher assembly would be pretty useful. Maybe, or maybe not, even two or more levels which would be facilitated by a simple value assignment representing what level like "1", "2", etc. assigned directly in the balloon properties and not via a rather labyrinthine properties selection. Or just the list control capability of assembly as a single item while still listing sub parts below it. But, I do go on...

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP3 - Insight - Win10 - K4200