Exploded view with Perspective in Draft.

Is there a way to create a draft of an exploded view with perspective ?

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.
6 REPLIES

Re: Exploded view with Perspective in Draft.

Hi Beachcomber,

Yes there is : you have to "save a view" with the perspective.

I'll try and find the right english name of the feature :

1. In assembly, in Display tab, you can save a view orientation, in the same block as Front view, back view, etc.

Save one with the perspective applied.

2. Then in the draft, you select your display configuration of the explode assembly.

3. Before finishing the assistant, you can choose a view orientation. The orientation won't actually be applied (it is the orientation of the display configuration of the explode) . But, you will find 2 views in the list with one added " - perspective". Choose this one.

The orientation won't be appliedbut the perspective will be.

Be careful if you want to place dimension on that view...

I hope this will work as you like.

Nicolas Bernard, Application Engineer, Solid Edge French Resseller

The orientation of a custom view is normally applied in a new view. Is there something about exploded views that prevents that?

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP3 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Thanks nbernard, that works.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

bshand,

Yes exploded display configuration has its own orientation so if you apply a custom view it doesn't do anything, except take the perspective if present.

I don't know why it works like that and that's a "trap" for a lot of new users we train. Why can't we define the orientation of the exploded view just like other view in the draft ? And the old question : why the .cfg file ? Smiley Very Happy

Nicolas Bernard, Application Engineer, Solid Edge French Resseller

Why the .cfg file indeed. A sore point with me at least.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP3 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

[ Edited ]

nbernard wrote:

3. Before finishing the assistant, you can choose a view orientation. The orientation won't actually be applied (it is the orientation of the display configuration of the explode) . But, you will find 2 views in the list with one added " - perspective". Choose this one.

The orientation won't be appliedbut the perspective will be.

I worked out the same workflow as @nbernard and ended up feeling much tired and gave up, without realizing the details mentioned in point #3 quoted above, all by self.

It was only after reading the point #3 that I realized what was going on. So I was not wrong or missing anything.

In frustration, I created a macro detailed in this post. Hopefully it addresses the limitation.

If not, kindly inform. There is another way where a saved 'named' view from the model can be forced onto a Drawing View using a macro, along with the view orientation and perspective.

~Tushar Suradkar

www.SurfAndCode.in