Explore Me - Macro

Phenom
Phenom

This was originally written for SolidWorks where it was well received and later also ported to Inventor. The macro simply opens the Windows Explorer with the currently open file in Solid Edge highlighted or selected in there.

The following video illustrates the functionality:

There are two more features which are illustrated on this page where the macro can be downloaded too, along with the instructions to use and put it on the Quick Access toolbar along with the icon.

Below is a short preview of the two extra features:

I am interested in knowing in what other scenarios other than those illustrated above would you find this macro useful, or any suggestion to enhance the existing functionality is welcome too.

~Tushar Suradkar

www.SurfAndCode.in

9 REPLIES

Re: Explore Me - Macro

Phenom
Phenom

Thanks!!!

I added this macro to my ST8 and will let you know if I have any suggestions.

...........................................................................................................
Solid Edge ST10 & AutoCAD 2018.1 user

Genius
Genius

Thanks, started using this straight away! Works well!

My only comment would be that once you open a file it would be nice if the explorer closed, I found at the end of the day I had lots of windows open.

Did not work for me.  It opens Explorer, but It keeps highlighting the "My Documents" folder.  Could it be where all of our files are on a zerver and not local?

Owner: Scott Lester Drafting & Design
Designer: Rotork Instuments

Phenom
Phenom

Our files are located also on the server but it works good. The problem will be something else.

Do you have admin rights on your PC?

...........................................................................................................
Solid Edge ST10 & AutoCAD 2018.1 user

Legend
Legend

It's working fine here. Our files are on a network share. No problems.

Thank you Tushar.

Greetings from Germany
Christian Kunkel
https://c-k-m.info

Phenom
Phenom

You make great macro's

I'm starting to use the page index maro for every drawing now.

There is not any time efficient way to list the pages using SE alone.

This looks like another good one. Will give it a whirl when I have time.

Thanks for posting links to you're Macro's

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend

on your page, where do i down load it?

Phenom
Phenom

On the blog page, scroll down till you see the download icon dn0.png and click the link next to it.

The file download is on the last line of the page.

Apologies for so many redirects, I am promoting both my blog and the training page.

For now click here to get the macro directly. You still must read the blog article for the description and usage. Kindly do provide your feedback about the macro.

Thanks.

~Tushar

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

The main concern I have with this is that I am constantly told that opening Insight managed SE data via explorer is to be avoided. Not sure why exactly. Supposedly can mess up links. And I don't mean doing anything other than opening them. Certainly moving them via explorer is not wise in any case.

Edit: Not that you are saying anyone should.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200