Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export Solid Edge parts and metadata from Teamcenter

Solution Partner Legend Solution Partner Legend
Solution Partner Legend

How to export Solid Edge parts and metadata from Teamcenter ? Does SEEC provide a functionality ?

For ex. Teamcenter-Solidworks integration provides 'swimexport' utility for this. See attached image

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Export Solid Edge parts and metadata from Teamcenter

Phenom
Phenom

@Amol_XPLM you would use export via PLMXML within Structure Manager in Teamcenter.

This can export the datasets (SE parts, pdfs, drafts etc) as files and whatever metadata you want in an XML file.  There's OOTB configurations, but if you have specific requirements it can be configured to be basically whatever you want.

You can also export the BOM as excel in custom format within structure manager.

And thirdly, within SE, you can still use the Pack and Go type export, and reporting functionality as you would unmanaged.

Just to be clear, and related to your previous post, SEEC is only the connection between SE and Teamcenter. It is not the general name for anything greater than that. Hence, "SEEC" will do nothing for you here, built in Teamcenter functionality is what you're looking for, and is agnostic to whether you're using SE, NX, SW or whatever.

Solution Partner Legend
Thanks @Alex_H for throwing light on both the questions.

Solution Partner Legend

We developed a little program that extracted the Solid Edge files and the metadata directly from the database.

The result is a directory with the Solid Edge files and for each file there was an INI-file containing the metadata.

A link recovery program checked and repaired all broken link with that you have everything to reuse the data.

The Advantage was:

• for us to have easier access to the data
  • faster because performance is always an issue
  • no interruption in the daily work, we did all of this in the background for testing
  • no modification on the existing TC environment - Never change a running system

If you are interested, please let me know

Stefan

smitsch@unitec.de
www.all4edge.de

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Extract directly from the database? Using ITK? Or SOA? Because (from my understanding) you shouldn't be directly touching the TC database...

Jamie Griffis | PLM Solution Architect | Engineering USA

Solution Partner Legend

You are Absolut right "Don't touch the DB!".

We just read the data from the DB. No manipulation or other things.

It is done with a DB user with just read access because we want to avoid any problems because we work on a living DB!

From the technical Bit and Pieces, I cannot go into the details but at the end I am interested on the results of the export

• The data files
  • Links are corrected from Solid Edge
  • All metadata

Ready to be reused.

Stefan

smitsch@unitec.de
www.all4edge.de

Gears Phenom

Yeah... but isn't directly reading the database also "touching" the database? 

Phenom
Phenom
touching in a friendly way maybe? Smiley Wink

Gears Phenom

Haha! Smiley LOL

I won't say that I've never done it either... but I won't tell people to do it. I don't want to suggest something that would get anyone into troubles with Siemens.