Export and Import Parasolid Format

Hi,

I am not familiar with Parasolid Format. My question is:

Is it geometry-lossless to firstly Export a .asm to parasolid (.x_t) by Solid Edge and then Import this .x_t into a .par also by the same version of Solid Edge?

I know during conversion, all features are lost, and all information about the assembly is also lost. That is OK in my case. My geometry-lossless means: not in facet data, no need heal and sew (stitch), and the model is exactly the same as the model in .asm?

I think the answer is TRUE because Solid Edge is Parasolid Kernel based, I am not sure though. Anyone could give me a certain answer?

Thanks,

Guan

16 REPLIES

Re: Export and Import Parasolid Format

Hi there @iceguan,

Yes, you are correct, in all your thoughts....except, the import of an Parasolid file that was an assembly, really needs to be imported into an ".ASM" template, to publish the assembly model structure back as expected, and will generate all the individual part models.

Individual models will come in and show as a single "Body Feature" only, in the feature pathfinder, but the models can generally be modifies easily from there, using either Synchronous, or Ordered editing methods & tools.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST9 [MP3] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Hi @SeanCresswell,

Thank you for your professional answer! It really helps me a lot.

The reason I am importing .x_t into .par template is to do the trick to simplify the assembly information. I will get one Base coordinate as world coordinate after importing, and the relationship among parts can be uniquely represented under this Base coordinate. However, this is our application based requirement. Smiley Very Happy

Thank,

Guan

Is there an advantage to this method as opposed to insert part copying the asm into a par?

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP3 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Hi @bshand,

I am not sure about "insert part copying the asm into a par" (I am new to SE Smiley Very Happy), Is it the command right beside "Paste" (SE ST4)? 

With this command, all parts in .asm turn into only one CopiedPart. 

Or did I missed some options?

Thanks,

Guan

Yes, the same as opening _xt into a part. Although with IPC you can select copy as construction body and end up with a multi-body part if you like.

I don't really know what your end goal is.

Bruce Shand

Hi @bshand,

Thank you for your reply!!

I am unable to get multi-body part, as shown in following picture.

In the drow list, the 2nd icon is gray (Why?). I think you maybe refer to this one, not the first command, right? I used the first command just now...

Sorry for my post, my goal it to translate .asm file into single .par file with relationship unchanged. 

Thanks,

Guan

If you pick the construction option and click ok it should put in a multi body part.

Bruce Shand

Hi @bshand,

Thank you for your rapid reply!

Select construction option does no help however (The picture is the same except the option). I think it is a software version problem because I am using an old Solid Edge ST4 and I notice you are using latest ST8.

Importing .x_t gives me a choice whether or not to perform boolean operation (which joins all bodies together). By unchecking that option, I can get multi-bodies part then. And they are construction models.

Thank you very much! 

Guan

iceguan wrote:

Sorry for my post, my goal it to translate .asm file into single .par file with relationship unchanged. 

If by "relationship" you mean the location of items in relation to each other, yes that will maintain. But since it will be one part there are no such relationships.

Bruce Shand