Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export assembly as JT with PMI in subcomponents

Creator
Creator

I am satisfied how PMI is exported to JT and viewed in JT2GO.  However, when I export an assembly - as single document; or assembly and part documents; or assembly, sub-assembly, and part documents - The only PMI that is exported is that of the top assembly I am exporting.  If I could export an assembly with 200 unique parts in it, it would be much better to trust each part has it's own PMI.  I am not sure if I am missing something.

I can work around this by exporting each part separately, but this is not trivial.  I am currently looking at creating a solid edge macro or addin to automate this.

Our team is using ST8 and Insight.  I don't know if ST9/ST10 fair any better.

6 REPLIES

Re: Export assembly as JT with PMI in subcomponents

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

ppaterson,

I did a quick test in ST10.

Placed PMI annotations on top and in a sub-asm. 

Selected to show them in the top-asm (RMB/show/hide component/PMI).

Exported JT including PMI

The result as seen in TC Vis shows them all.

Pls try this, or it might be solved in later SE versions.

Good luck /Ulf 

pmi_subasm.jpg

Siemens EMEA GTAC Support

Builder
Builder

Is TC Vis the same as JT2GO?   Thought they were two different product?

ST9
WIN 7Pro 64bit
DELL T5810 3.7-4Ghz 32Gb ECC
Highlighted

Siemens Phenom

JT2Go is the free version of big brother TC Vis. It's built on the same framework.

https://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/en/products/teamcenter/plm-platform-capabilities/visualizatio...

Creator
Creator

When I make sure that the part PMI is shown, it has no effect on the exported JT file.

image.pngpart PMI is visible in top assembly

image.pngJT Translation Options

image.pngsame part in JT2Go after translate

I opened up the part separately and exported.  That works just fine, and I did not need to make the PMI visible first.  At least since I overwrote the original export, the assembly links to the new one and I can NOW see the PMI in the assembly.  But this still suggests that I need to export each file individually.

image.pngpart translated separately

Also, if it is necessary to have the part PMI visible in the assembly upon translate, then it is not as simple as `RMB->Show/Hide All Component`.  The vast majority of our parts are saved with PMI hidden, and show/hide all component will not work on its own.  The PMI has to be made visible in the part as well.  In order to get the PMI to show in the assembly, I opened in context and made sure PMI was visible there first.   However, it is in the Insight 'Release" state, so it's not something that will save for the next time we need to run this export.  I am afraid that opening every part in context and showing PMI will not be a very good solution either.

Siemens Phenom

Hmm, I can select all parts  & assemblies and set the visibility for the PMI.

When exporting the asm as JT and selecting the option 'save PMI data', the JT  contains the PMI regardless of the visibility in SE at the export.

You may want to investigate this further with your local support/VAR. It may be the newer SE version that solved this?

Good luck /Ulf

Builder
Builder

I would also add with confidence that the options for save JT like configurations, simplified, design mostly dont work as designed. 

I use it ever day and it is very hard to get consistancy.  I mostly save as designed as engineering require it.

ST9 MP9 Win 10 

Phil

ST9
WIN 7Pro 64bit
DELL T5810 3.7-4Ghz 32Gb ECC