Export selected to .DXF

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello,  Brand new user of Solid Edge and Im looking for a way to save or export selected Parts or objects to a new .DXF file.  The exported file will be loaded into a CAM program for further processing.

Is there a command or a macro that would let me do this?

Thanks in advance.

TMC

11 REPLIES

Re: Export selected to .DXF

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

Hello,

Welcome to the group!

If you are looking to export a number of draft files to dxf or dwg format, the batch export program is your best bet.  Look in the "custom" folder under the Solid Edge main folder.  The Batch program will be listed there.  It's a big time saver.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1

Experimenter
Experimenter
Not Quite. Say I have a single 2D sheet with 3 different sized sprockets on it. I would like to be able to select the sprocket I need and export that one to a new .DXF file. (A very simple example as we store many parts on a single master sheet.)

PLM World Member Phenom

I see,

Do you want to keep the background sheet and just export a selected "view" which in your case is a specific sprocket?

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1

Genius
Genius

If you only care about the part geometry and don't need the drawing background, simply right click on the view you wish to export and select "Draw in View". From there you can select the Application Button in the upper left corner, then save as and select .dxf as the file type.

This will give you a DXf of the full scale geometry minus dimensions, centerlines, notes, and title block.

Bob Henry

Manager of Engineering - Highwall Miners
Caterpillar Global Mining LLC
Houston, PA

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi there,

I've used this before in other software, and it is very handy....especially when you have a large amount of 2D elements on the 2D Model sheet.

As a work around, I just copy/paste the elements requied to a new "blank" draft sheet, then translate that to a DXF, then just close & don't save that draft.

This would make a great "Enhancement Request" for SE though!

[Something like....."Save Select Set As"....the choose the file format as normal]

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Experimenter
Experimenter
Hi Kyle.
No backgrounds, just the part in a DXF.

PLM World Member Phenom

Hi TMC,

Check out Bob and Sean's techniques and see if they will work.  The draw in view one may be the most direct.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1

Experimenter
Experimenter
Hi Bob,
I don't see "Draw in View" in any menu.

PLM World Member Phenom

TMC,

Right click on the view and then you'll see the draw in view option.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1