Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting JT: How to ONLY export Precise geometry?

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi, I'm trying to send my scene from Solid Edge to 3Ds Max for rendering purposes. I'm using the JT format

In 3Ds Max, some parts import in looking far too rough. I'd like to export some specific parts as smooth. This is possible to do by checking 'Include precise geometry' in the JT export options in Solid Edge.

When that option is checked, for no apparent reason, 3Ds Max will import 2 versions of the same model. One Rough and one smooth. I only want the smooth version of my model to be included. How do i stop my 'precise' JT files from also including the rough version of the model?

Thanks for reading, hope this makes sense!

-Will

9 REPLIES

Betreff: Exporting JT: How to ONLY export Precise geometry?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

HI @willchocks

good question, but I never had faced that I got two models back when importing a JT file.

Even when exported from SE as precise, the import will only show the precise model.

Could it be, that theer is an option for inmporting in 3Dmax?

regards
Wolfgang

Re: Exporting JT: How to ONLY export Precise geometry?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Will,

the JT-file (as default) contains three different levels of tesselated data (smooth model substituted by triangles), these are the different LOD's (Level of Detail). In a Viewer normally the roughest LOD first is loaded and then the finer.

Along with this, the JT-file can contain the precise edge geometry (B-rep).

These settings are controlled via the 'options' dialogue when saving, and in more detail in the cfg-file "SePvTrn.ini".

What 3Ds Max imports probably is controlled by some import configuration? 

/Ulf

Siemens EMEA GTAC Support

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Did You try to use .sat file format?

I used it and worked perfectly for me.

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks for the replies so far!

Here are my settings for export and import. I should probably mention that i'm using ST8 and 3Ds Max 2016.

Below is what the end result looks like with these settings. It seems like i've tried every combination with no success so far.

ExportSettingsJT.JPGSolid Edge Export SettingsImportSettingsJT.JPG3Ds Max Import Settings

3dsmax preview.JPGThe two separated smooth and rough models in 3Ds MaxJT2Go Preview.JPGThe object in JT2Go

Attached is my SePvTrn.ini file. Maybe there is something off there that can be changed?

Gears Legend Gears Legend
Gears Legend
Hello,
please try to deactivate interpart copy as construction.
This can generate a addtional part.
Most times you need not interpart in JT.
best regards
Wolfgang

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks Wolfgang, but that didn't change anything.

I've attached the JT file. Maybe someone could inspect it and see if they are getting the same duplication problem?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi there @willchocks,

I may have missed your response, but did you try the [ACIS - *.sat] file format that @Imics suggested?

2018-01-23.png

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge 2019 [MP1] Classic [x3 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Experimenter
Experimenter
Ah yes, I did try that,
But it gave me a file with some things missing, some things showing that shouldn't be showing, it didn't carry over the solid edge styles like JT does. It also couldn't export larger scenes without 3Ds Max really struggling on import Smiley Sad

I love JT! Just need to export only the precise geometry by itself. It's interesting that Wolfgang (at the top of this thread) was able to import his precise model without the low-detail model being included. Would you be willing to share your SePvTrn.ini (located in Solid Edge folder in program files) Wolfgang?

Thanks

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Will,

the JT-file contains one XT B-rep (precise) and one LOD 0 (pretty rough).

I assume that 3DS Max imports both, this is something AutoDesk Support should be able to answer. 

Good luck! /Ulf

2018-01-23 09_18_38-Teamcenter Visualization Mockup 11.4 - [Window_JT.jt].jpg

Siemens EMEA GTAC Support