Exporting Points to IGES

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello,

I'm new to SE, but not new to CAD. What I'm trying to do is create a series of datum points in a part file, which also includes solid geometry, then export everything to an IGES file.

I have created the points within a sketch feature as there does not seem to be a specific datum point feature (I'm not sure if there's a better way to do this?). Then when I export to IGES, points are not exported and I haven't been able to achieve this by tweaking the export options.

Is anybody able to help? I can't remember trying to do this in other CAD systems, but it seems like it should be possible. Please note that format must be IGES for this application, so step etc isn't an option.

Thanks for your help,

Dave

12 REPLIES

Re: Exporting Points to IGES

Phenom
Phenom

I'm pretty sure that geometry inside a sketch is not exportable in Iges.
I'm sure you can export curves geometry by activating the wireframe export in Iges options.
I'm not aware of any tool in Solid Edge to create geometry points.

Builder
Builder

Dave,

I haven't done this in a while, or if it will help, but maybe try extruding your sketch as a surface say .001" or so.  This is the only way I've been able to export sketches, but I can't remember if it worked in iges format or not.  It does work with part copies.  I miss this ablility too.

Matt

Experimenter
Experimenter

Yeah, I'm not sure that's going to work; I need exact points. The reason I'm doing this is that I want to be able to position this component accurately inside a test hall. We'll be using a laser system, so by creating these datum points where the centre of the reflectors will be, I can interrogate the position of the physical component and adjust it until the measured points meet the nominal positions from the CAD file. If that makes sense...

The IGES file (with points, ideally) is imported by the measurment software, so you would get the nominal locations directly from there. There are other ways of achieving this but they all require a certain amount of manual intervention. 

If it can't be done then so be it, but I thought I'd ask the question.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Very small spheres?

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Try using a keypoint curve from your sketched location to anywhere in space.  Then edit the curve and snap the free end to the controlled end.  You'll basically have a line with the same start and end points, and I believe it will export as curves.

Russ

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

You cannot export points through IGES.

Siemens Phenom

P.S.  There are ERs in the system requesting this functionality.

Experimenter
Experimenter

That sounds fairly definitive. That's just a limitation of Solid Edge, isn't it - not that the IGES format won't read points?

For the record I just tried it in inventor which we have here too (though it's not our primary CAD package and I've used it even less than SE - I'm a Creo man, myself) and it doesn't work in there either.

Thanks,

Dave

Siemens Phenom

IGES can support points.

The IGES entity type for points is 116:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IGES