Exporting only the external surfaces of model for General Plant Layout

Experimenter
Experimenter

I have a model with a lot of proprietary information in the internals of the equipment. The model has a number of piping interfaces where the equipment connects to the Plant. The client requires an Autocad file format from us to put into their Plant layout and the file size must be as small as possible so as not to slow their model down.

In the past I have exported to a step file and then imported that file into Autocad, but I don't believe this is the correct solution for my requirements.

Are their certain options in the export settings that I should be using?

3 REPLIES

Re: Exporting only the external surfaces of model for General Plant Layout

Phenom
Phenom

Set up your view with only the parts you want to export displayed then

use the 'Export Displayed Only' option when creating the step file.

Alternatively you could look at using simplified assemblies.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

Experimenter
Experimenter
Hi Beachcomber

Must I hide the parts that I don't need? There are only a few internal components that I can hide.

Most of the internal components protrude out through the model and form the interfaces with the Plant. The external components rotate around the internal components so I need to show these too.

I will try out the simplified assemblies option too.

regards

Nick

DISCLAIMER: This e-mail is being sent from Tongaat Hulett Limited, registration number 1892/000610/06 and is intended for the addressee named above. Any unauthorised use or interception of this e-mail is illegal. The e-mail message or its attachments may contain confidential or privileged information and may not be copied, forwarded or disclosed to any unauthorised person. If you are not the named addressee (or person responsible for forwarding the e-mail to the addressee) please notify us immediately via return e-mail and destroy the copy you have received. Save for bona fide company matters, Tongaat Hulett accepts no responsibility for the opinions or the content in this e-mail or its attachments. Details of the directors of the company appear on the web site at www.tongaat.co.za.

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend

Have you tried using the Simplify Visible Faces command?  Depending on the shape of your assembly this might work well for you.

Once you simplify the model (which copies all the visible surfaces from the parts to the assembly,) you can right click on the simplified assembly, and select Save As.

Simplify.PNG

HTH,

Jason