Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extend Splines Curves To Intersect

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I am looking for any recommendations on how I can extend the airfoil spline curves shown in the image below so that they intersect. I tried to copy the geometry to a sketch but the sketch extend tool does not appear to work. Also, the sketch trim corner command looks like it wants to work but doesn't. Any ideas? I realize I could just add new segments to the end for the intersection but I would prefer to extend the existing spline curves if possible.

spline_intersect.jpg

David McMahon
Solid Edge ST10, MP5
HP Z2 Mini, Windows 10
4 REPLIES

Re: Extend Splines Curves To Intersect

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi there @David_McMahon,

I think it is made more difficult when the curves are "Table Curve" segments. Do you need to complete these in the sketch?.....as you could always extend & trim the resulting extruded, or lofted surfaces. Assuming that a 3D model is the eventual goal here.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP7] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

@David_McMahon,

I also made a new sketch, and used the "Project to Sketch" command, to capture your two Table Curves, but then deleted the link relationship, so that I could then modify them, using "Trim Corner" to extend the tip closed.....could then "Extrude" with the "Select From Sketch" input option.

2017-12-14 (2).png

Sean Cresswell

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Sean,

Awesome, that works! It did not occur to me to delete the link relationships. That was the part I was missing. 

David McMahon
Solid Edge ST10, MP5
HP Z2 Mini, Windows 10

Yeah, a less robust method, but a way forward all the same.......if there was a fear of accidentally nudging the profile out of place, you could also add either of the "Rigid Set" or the "Lock" relationships to the finished sketch.

Sean Cresswell