External surface of an imported model

Pioneer
Pioneer
Hi!
I have a lot of 3d model imported from step file. I want simplify them, and erase the internal surfaces in a fast and simple way.
I need only the external skin of the model. There is a way to catch only the skin and convert in 3D model?

Thanks!
7 REPLIES

Betreff: External surface of an imported model

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @Cek

due to the fact that we do not have a Shrink Surface command it is not that easy as it could be.

But - without knowing Your parts - You can bring them into an assmebly and then run the simplify assembly command with only visible surfaces.

This creates a surface model of outer surfaces, but be aware that if there are any holes in the outer surfaces where You can look into then inner surfaces will be selected too.

Save this simplyfied model as part and delete non wanting surfaces afterwards

regards
Wolfgang

@Cek & @hawcad

ST10 brings this functionality... 

There is a new command called "One Body Assembly"  that will give us "Shrink Wrap" like functionality.

Several commands were updated to help with this.

Insert Part Copy – Adjust for non-manifold and remove interior voids option

Delete Face –select Interior Voids option

Union Bodies – Adjust for non-manifold option

(PS: I have seen this in Beta and it is GREAT!!! I made sure I had permission to deseminate this information, since I had not yet seen it in any public ST10 Announcements yet)

Hopefully someone at Siemens ( @MLombard )  can post screen shots or Demo video for us all soon.

===================================================
Matt Johnson
Solid Edge Certified Professional (ST7 & ST8)
Solid Edge ST9 (SEEC) - Production
NX10 (Tc Integration) Pre-Production Testing
Teamcenter 10.1.6

MLombard
Retired
@MattJohnson_PG
Yeah, this is on the list of stuff I want to write about. What's New is the best time of the year. I'll get to the One Body Assembly shortly. Keep an eye on the blog.
https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Solid-Edge-Blog/bg-p/solid-edge-news
Retired Community Manager for Solid Edge. This account is no longer active.

Thanks @MLombard!!!

This is a long standing request that I think will be a VERY BIG crowd pleaser!  cant wait to see your blog on this one specfically!!!

===================================================
Matt Johnson
Solid Edge Certified Professional (ST7 & ST8)
Solid Edge ST9 (SEEC) - Production
NX10 (Tc Integration) Pre-Production Testing
Teamcenter 10.1.6

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @MLombard

Hi @MattJohnson_PG

Hi Matts,

thank You both for that great and wonderful info!

This is soemthing we were looking for years now and thanks @MattJohnson_PG to spill the beans for this issue.

This really, really makes me happy.

And please @MLombard don't annoy this Solid Edge Leak

Great, Great, great  Smiley HappySmiley HappySmiley HappySmiley HappySmiley HappySmiley Happy

regards
Wolfgang

Re: External surface of an imported model

MLombard
Retired

Does anybody have a model they'd like to donate for the purpose of me writing a blog article about this new ST10 function? It would have to be something you don't mind us showing publicly. I'll probably write the article today, so you'd have to act fast. Drop me a line if you think you might want to contribute. Otherwise I'll just wind up using something I've made.

Retired Community Manager for Solid Edge. This account is no longer active.

Re: External surface of an imported model

Phenom
Phenom

HI @MLombard

You have got a PM

regards
Wolfgang