Extra Solid Edge ST8 Beta Testers

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

All,

As with each Solid Edge release, we have a lot of exciting new things coming in ST8. To make sure this is all rock solid for you, we'd like to invite a select number of you into the ST8 Beta program. Normally, we reserve Beta for face-to-face (and this usually means large customers), but here we are looking for people to test on your own site. We will be biased towards:

1. Heavy duty SE daily user

2. Typically an early adopter of SE releases (say in first 6 months of release)

Size of account is immaterial. Small power users are welcome.

Requirements:

- Must Sign NDA, Trial Software, No Export Agreements

- Must have active maintenance account to log IRs

- Must have access to the GTAC FTP SE beta download site (granted via webkey username)

- Watch 2-hour ST8 overview movie

- Agree to spend a minimum of 16 hours in April testing ST8 Beta

- Agree to test on the latest ST8 Beta build posted (updated every two weeks)

- Agree to log ST8 specific problems (i.e. problem does not exist in ST7) directly on the web on QTAC

You can email me directly at watson.laura@siemens.com with your "beta application" which should include the following:

- Contact name, phone, email address, shipping address

- Company name and Solid Edge sold-to ID

- Webkey username

- Current SE release in use

- Using SE since...

- Key areas of the product I used deeply (draft, sheet metal, routing, std parts, etc.)

- Data Management solution used, if any (Tc/SEEC, Solid Edge SP, Insight, etc.)

- I normally start using a new SE release X months after release

- SE Composite Host ID (CID) for the machine you will install ST8 (see attachment)

This is the opportunity for those of you who find bugs in fielded product to avoid them with ST8. Make sure you take advantage of this!

Thanks!

Laura

Laura Watson

Director, Solid Edge Technical Operations and Market Initiatives

Solid Edge. Design better.

Join the Solid Edge Community

Register Now for Solid Edge University 2015

Siemens Industry Sector

Siemens Product Lifecycle Management Software Inc.

675 Discovery Drive, Suite 100

Huntsville, AL, 35806

Office  256-705-2598

Fax     256-705-2695

Mobile 256-302-1107

watson.laura@siemens.com

www.siemens.com/plm

14 REPLIES

Re: Extra Solid Edge ST8 Beta Testers

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend

Are people who don't use sync able to apply?

Community Manager

TDB,

Of course, all SE users are welcome to apply regardless of if they use synchronous or ordered features.  Synchronous technology is just one portion of Solid Edge.

Best regards,

Laura

Phenom
Phenom
Laura,

And from VAR like me?

BR,
Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Community Manager

Imre,

As always, VARs will be given access to ST8 via the Global Technical Business Enablement group (formerly known as Field Support) once they attend ST8 Update Training.

Laura

Phenom
Phenom

Laura,

What would REALLY be helpful to some of us smaller companies is help with multi Version installs. Last year I wasted so much time getting ST7 BETA to run while still using ST6 for work.

This year as a BETA user I tried 3 times to load dual Versions to no avail. Things got so bad I had to reuse a Image backup to recover my system just so I could do my day job.

Anyway someone there in Development needs to make up detailed instructions for this process. If not I'm "Able and Willing" to help... but I do not have time to waste figuring this all out again.  I'm NOT an IT guy nor do I ever want to be, so the arcane instructions I used last year didn't seem to work this year. This should be as easy as a regular install and not a weekend project for us little people.

Bob

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

BobMileti wrote:

What would REALLY be helpful to some of us smaller companies is help with multi Version installs. Last year I wasted so much time getting ST7 BETA to run while still using ST6 for work.

This year as a BETA user I tried 3 times to load dual Versions to no avail. Things got so bad I had to reuse a Image backup to recover my system just so I could do my day job.

Laura,

As one of those early adopters, I would dearly LOVE to be in the BETA group also, but for the very thing Bob outlines. I simply cannot allow the testing [or rather, the setup to facilitate it] to interfere with what pays the bills.

I could try to install it on my home laptop, but by no means was it planned to be a CAD machine....having said that, I would have said the same about my Surface Pro3. Maybe I'll reserve my trepidation, pending an install & test of ST7.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP1] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Phenom
Phenom

The same for me.

I have been involved in the autocad beta team for several years. There we can easy install the beta side-by-side with the latest public version.

Until this is possible in SE: thanks a lot, but no thanks.

...........................................................................................................
Solid Edge ST10 & AutoCAD 2018.1 user

Phenom
Phenom

Add my vote for a little time spent making the Beta installs easier, with an interface. I'm very busy this month and find myself putting off jumping into the Beta right away for this exact reason. 

-Dylan Gondyke

It sounds like a good thing for the normal SE users (read small companies) to use the BETA and test it.
Bob already hit a point about the installation of multiple versions.
What I don't like in the requirements is the 2 hour view of a video. The 16 hours in April is no problem and test it on multiple items, but just as Bob, I'm not a IT guy. Just a user that use SE to create drawings for machines and also complain if it doesn't work Smiley Wink
-------
Daniël Schuiling
Solid Edge ST7
Teamcenter 10