Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extra bolt quantity in assembly BOM

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello All,

We generally place bolts in all connections of main assembly and the BOM shows actual bolt quantity.

The issue is, extra bolts to be supplied to client for safety. Like 5% extra bolts. This percentage veries depending on bolt types. We have to show bolt quantity with these extra bolts in BOM. We can do it by calculating manually and then override quanity in BOM. However we want to avoid this process for error prevention. Is there any way to add extra bolt percentage quantity automatically in BOM of drawing?

Regards,

ASlam

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Extra bolt quantity in assembly BOM

Phenom
Phenom

A couple of ways I can think of -

1. For one instance of each item you want to add quantities, set the quantity override in the assembly model to 'User Defined' and increase the quantity as required. The BOM will then show the increased quantity.

2. In your main assembly, create a sub-assembly containing an instance of each item that needs additional quantities - this will be your 'Spares' list.  Set a user-defined quantity of each as you require. You can then either create a seperate BOM for this assembly, or expand it in your main BOM to  include all assembly items. You will just need to remember to turn off the display in your drawing views (You can't use the occurrence properties in the assembly model to exclude from drawing views as this would also remove it from the BOM).
HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
SE2019 MP5 on Windows 10 Pro 64.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello @beachcomber,

Thank you for your reply. 

Those two steps requires manual data inputs in 3d. 

I was looking for a way to avoid manual data entry either in 3d or 2d.

Suppose I add a formula 5% in variable table. Bolt quantity will be actual quantity multipied by that percentage.

Moreover when there are too many bolts, it is very difficult to manual override.

Actually I am looking for a automated way to avoid human error and save time.

Regards,

Aslam

Phenom
Phenom

There is no automated way, other than adding every bolt to your assembly - but even that requires you to 'manually' determine the quantity.

By putting them in the model you at least generate the BOM quantities automatically.

I can't think of any parameter or variable that will count the number of bolts to allow you to then do the calculation you require.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
SE2019 MP5 on Windows 10 Pro 64.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Hello @hawcad,

Hope you are well.
This an one year old post. We couldn't find automated solution.
Can you please check the post that if there are any good solution now?
Is there any new features or in SE or ideas that can help?

Regards,
Aslam

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @aslam 

I have an idea but will first check wether it works when I will be back in the office.

Keep You informed.

regards
Wolfgang

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @aslam 

so I must say sorry but my idea doesn't work.

I thought, that using the "SE_ASSEMBLY_QUANTITY_OVERRIDE" custom property for a user defined quantity will solve Your issue, but it doesn't.

20190516_0839.png

You can use this property for so called "Non-Graphical" parts with a specified qunatity.

And You can define this in the part file itself together with a "default" value.

But either it is a bug or I remember it wrong.

Only if this default qunatity is set to 1, this number is used in the assembly automatically.

If - and this was my idea - You define it for examplle "1.1" (means plus 10% for reserve) the assembly uses 0 as assembly qunatity and needs defined there before You can use it.

But this is not the solution.

I thought using 1.1 will calculate a 10% extra in number of pieces.

And that without enter to any instance and without defining a user qunatity manually for every bolt.

Sorry, good idea, but bad results!

regards
Wolfgang

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Hello @hawcad,

Thank you very much for the try!

Regards,
aslam

Phenom
Phenom

why not keep it simple and add a new column to your bom called "Spare". Then just add or calculate you value for spare? This allows for you to ensure you have an accurate accounting (you really have the hardware in the holes, allows for interference checking and provides a simple way for checking your spare count.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Hello @RyanM,

Thank you very much for reply. This is a great idea!
We will try it and let you know the result.

Regards,
Aslam